Monday, October 14, 2024

Asking Directions

 


Do you know where you are going? Do you get up in the morning and have your day planned out? Have you already mapped a route to complete your agenda? Do you plan ahead in case there is a road bump in your timeline?

If you need to ask directions, do you Google maps or ask Siri or GPS to find out where yo
u are to where you want to be?

Some will pull over to a filling station or some passerby and ask how to get to a location hoping the person will show you the way. Mostly what I hear is how to get on a highway and follow the signs to your intended destination.

I ride a bike. I do not travel on the highways. I know the north/south/east/west directions and can read a compass from Boy Scout training, but could not tell you the names of the streets I travel on. I can approximate the time of day by where the sun is and can adjust to the seasons, but I could not give you directions.

I’m limited, by choice, to five-mile radius around my house. I figure I can pedal or walk five miles and back under my own power, though I may have to reduce this with aging. Other than purchasing hopefully fresh food stuffies, there is very little I have to venture to these days. Thanks to Amazon and mobile delivery, any Nic knacks I require can be ordered and delivered to my door within days without impulse buying. At the end of the month, pay off the bill and start fresh tomorrow.

Digging deeper into the subject, asking directions can be trying to find the ‘reason’ we (or you personally) are here? Finding the meaning of life will always be the question for there is no road maps.

Certain philosophies and theories will produce scholars and teachers who will expound on a path for true meaning of wisdom but may become an indoctrination into a discipline that must be adhered to.


Exploring is much more satisfying for when you arrive, the experience of getting there will be the accomplishment.

Wait for the light to turn green. Coast down to the house with the white fence and turn left. At the top of the hill take a left pass the dalmatian dog but watch out for the filled in gully, it is pretty soft there. Take a right at the bottom of the hill pass the trampoline and watch out for the road repair. Pull to the left before you cross the avenue. Look both ways and take your time. Put the pedal to the metal and pump fast and then… there you are. Rinse and repeat to get home.

Since life doesn’t come with a set of directions, we educate ourselves to find our way.

No comments: