Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Socialization Isolation


I: That was an interesting report on the “Today” show yesterday about how Facebook and other social networking sites are keeping people connected in this busy time and day when no one can have face-to-face conversations anymore.

ME: Yes, I know. I was there; remember?

I: But what is so fascinating about this is that people talk about such trivial stuff.

ME: I know, who wants to hear this stuff.

I: Well it seems everyone does.

ME: I understand the posting of photos for family and friends, but so much of this stuff is pure….

I: I know, I know, and now businesses are posting every little event out there, filling up lines of advertising posing as communication.

ME: That also put pressure on employees to post referrals to their companies.

I: What is it about people who cannot just talk to each other? Why does it have to be texting or tweetering or chatting every couple of sections to get an immediate response to what they are eating or doing or watching on television?

ME: You don’t remember high school do you?

I: Oh yeah, staying on the phone for hours asking, “What are you doing?”.

ME: And sometimes just staying connected with nether person responding. It was just knowing he other person was still out there.

I: Well, I guess these electronic communication devices do give access after friends and family have move beyond reach.

ME: But so many of the “friends” or “contacts” don’t post any information or respond with any comments.

I: Some of them don’t even upload profile photos.

ME: And what will happen, as we get older and not physically able to get out into social environments to interact with others?

I: You mean like the Folk Festival?

ME: I knew you would bring that up.

I: Well, you thought about going, but listened to it on NPR. Was it to avoid all the people?

ME: Yes, I know. The weather was perfect and several times contemplated the short ride, but….

I: You never were very good around large crowds of people.

ME: I don’t know if it was upbringing or shyness, but for some reason, I don’t like the clutter of large groups of people.

I: But they are fascinating to watch.

ME: Just like all those “friends” on Facebook that we don’t know who the heck they are?

I: It is part of the unknown interesting in others I suppose.

ME: You are a freak. To follow the exploits of some chickie out west or read the constant barrage of thoughts from crazy painter woman or see political connections from people you have no idea who they are, how is that interesting?

I: I guess that is life without being part of it.

ME: So is this it? Is this how we will communicate with anyone out there in the world?

I: Being transportation challenged, if we are to see anyone face-to-face, they will have to come to me.

ME: Don’t blame it on me, it was your choice.

I: Well, at least we do have Facebook.

ME: And if someone wants to express something that is more that stupid.

I: Well….. oh, there is email. That’s kinda private.

ME: You know and I know that anything…..anything you write is public knowledge out there.

I: I guess the old days of writing down your thoughts on paper, mailing it in a sealed envelope only to be opened and read by someone else is over.

ME: So we have to watch what we say and how we say it…. Or text, tweet, or chat it, as the case may be.

I: You know what? I don’t care.

ME: Huh?

I: Why I’ve never used bad language or hurtful remarks, so why can’t I just say what I want to say?
ME: I guess that is freedom of speech.

I: So let’s log on and see what our “friends” are doing. Or at least what they are wasting their time saying. It might be chuckle or two.

ME: You know, when you see how old people, not old like us, really, really old people sit around and wait for “the time” to come, this electronic communication might be a good thing.

I: Yes, even when they are in the room with family, they are placed in a chair and talked about like they are not even there.

ME: And sometimes they are not even there.

I: But will we, as we get older, be able to physically read these glowing screens? Will we have the ability to type? I hands will become too brittle to text on our cell devices, so how will be communicate with others?

ME: Hummmmm?

I: We will be isolated. Social Isolation will take place. We will be alone with our thoughts.

ME: Unless our families put us into an old folks home.

I: Three meals a day and television as I recall. What’s the difference between that and prison?

ME: Well, I…..

I: I think we need to adjust ourselves to the reality that being alone isn’t bad. We need to learn how to entertain ourselves with what we have, appreciate what nature has surrounded us with and be at peace in our own mind.

ME: Like listening to the rain outside?

I: Exactly. It is free entertainment. It is there for all of us, but we are always too busy to enjoy it.

ME: Too busy by texting and chatting and….

I: You got it.

ME: You know. I can remember in the spring when the first rains came and we sat out on the porch and just watched. It was very peaceful.

I: So peaceful we fell asleep until 3 in the morning.

ME: So you still want to log on and see what the rest of the world is doing?

I: No. I’m going to make a sandwich.

ME: Me too.

MY: Word!

2 comments:

Art said...

exceptional!!! NICE!!!

Cheryl said...

You hit the nail on the head several times. Good one.