Saturday, February 29, 2020

That Extra Day


What did you do for the Leap Year Day? It is the extra day that only comes around every four years. It is the one-day that gets all the other days in order.
After a night of three hour naps, the sun arrived and knocked me out of a dream of trying to do a layout (an ancient art) and up for some OJ, toast and a cup of Joe.
There were plans made in the restless tumble called sleep last night.
The weather said it was cold, so another layer was applied. Pick up all the checks written for February that were mostly January bills. A bit more than normal but there was the cost of a new stereo and home insurance, both necessary.
The pony was reluctant to face into the wind so I tried to find side trips hiding behind houses. Some would call it a workout. I just call it getting from Point A to Point B.
The sun was shining but the wind reminded me it was still winter. Made it to the mailbox and noticed there was more traffic than usual. That’s right, it is Leap Day.
The trip up the hill to the post office was a churn between the traffic and the wind. Took my envelopes in to be weighted and get a couple books of stamps. The postal lady was most pleasant and had a nice conversation without a waiting line. Out goes the VHS tapes to parts unknown and forgot to check on tax forms. The doggie in the car with the alarm going off distracted me.
Walked up to the toy store (hardware) noticing new buildings and new names to old familiar sites. The old middle school across the street that had been discussed about changing for years is now under construction. Half the building is gone and there is a multi-layered parking lot in the back. Progress they say.
Venture into the toy store and found everything I was looking for. I could have probably gotten more but my hands were full. The customers seemed glum as is normal in this area of town, but cashier was more than customer service and it was a pleasant experience.
Walked the pony down a couple of blocks knowing what Saturday traffic is like and I wanted to survive this adventure. Age has taught me some advantage to continue in this life.
Went by an old friend’s house and noticed his ramp in the front yard was gone. Got back into my usual lane and fought the wind to my arrival and lockup.
A detour to the local sandwich shop to use the coupon or gift card or whatever they call it that a neighbor gave me for Christmas. Even there as I stared at the not too familiar board of selections, the cashier came over to assist. I made my order with my constant banter and got processed. Still the vibe was good. Not too crowded or rushed. Even the cute girl presenting me with the two subs was nice.
Have you noticed that I’m having a good day?
Back to the pony locked up to a trashcan as so to not blow over in the wind, cover my consumables of the day so far and grab my Scan-Grab-& Go bag. Got the last zip cart and found a scanner that worked to venture into the Tummy Temple. Like the traffic outside, it was crowded with folks looking for grub. Didn’t need any produce (due to the fasting in the yard) and moved to the frozen section. There were few familiar faces but more looking up at the directional signs. Going into a big room trying to find something is like going into a train station or an airport or DMV. That is unless you know where everything is because you come here everyday.
Got some burritos out of curiosity, refreshed the OJ bottle, then wrapped back to the alcohol aisle. Stopped to salute and chat with Capt. Westly before taking a left turn down the display of glass bottle of many shapes and sizes and names.
Again I was disappointed that my usual tall silver bullets were not there. Deciding the best alternative would be Corona Extra with extra small bottles. Maybe I can catch the virus? The President says there is no problem?
Then I hear the rumble of the beer cart being pushed by the pretty girl. I ask her if she has any Coors (which I know she does). She unplugs her ear pod and points to a case. She informs me that the tall cans are not available at the present time at this location. We chat for a moment and end with an appreciation of the conversation and a smile. Off to get some lime.
The ‘easy go’ section seemed to be confusion with the mass of congregation who amassed at this time. I find a screen that said, “OPEN” and pointed my scanner. The usual screen appears and I pressed the usual button waiting for “Help is on the way”. Red vest Elliss showed up doing her magic helping out the old man with a smile and some cute comments.
Back in the shelter from the wind, taste the hydration and listen to the next-door-next-door neighbors gathering in the backyard enjoying the sunshine and bundled from the chill.
The buds are showing up on the trees and the weather says it will be in the 70s soon. I look out the window at the rats searching for food that is not there after I tore off their roof. It is just another project for another day.
So what is about this extra day?
Saturday, Sunday, Wednesday is all the same now. Christmas is the same as Columbus Day. So what makes leap year day any different?
Some years ago, far, far away, there was a girl who I know for a brief period of time but made an impression on me. It was worth a chapter in a book. I sent her a birthday card and was shamed by not knowing it was on ‘leaf year day’.
So when February 29 comes around I’ll think about those who have birthdays every four years. She must be about seventeen or eighteen now.

No comments: