Saturday, June 6, 2020

The Backdoor



We decorate our front door with impressive shiny hardware and Christmas wreaths. We welcome people into our house through the front door, but the back door is the one that gets all the action.
Growing up the back door was the entrance into the house. There was a small porch that was enclosed and the back door was the one used to go to church, school and (unless riding the bus) was the only door used. I only saw the front door open when the census takers or the encyclopedia sales person came by. The front door was fully decorated with special lighting for Christmas and the walkway was shoveled of snow. I only had a key to the back door.
My first house had a giant glass front door and no insulation. There was a tiny back door but used the basement door more because the kitchen was so small. That house had four back doors with skeleton keys.   
When I was handed the two keys to this house, I used the front door to walk to the bus stop. I’d picked up the mail and the newspaper off the front porch.
Then the landscaping began and the back door was the preferred exit and entrance to wipe off the mud. Then I had the ‘man’s land’ delivered and it became storage for the bikes and tools and an office. After the fence was installed, I never went out the front door. Most of the time the back door was left unlocked.
Now if I hear the doorbell I wonder who would be coming to the front door? Now with the gate and only using the back door I avoid all the real estate agents and Jehovah Witnesses. Haven’t seen any vacuum salesmen?
Every couple of days I walk out to the gate and bring in the junk mail then close the front door and lock both locks.
Back doors should get more respect. They are normally used to let the pets out or get to the backyard patio, grill and lawnmower. The front yard is the presentation to the neighborhood, but the backyard is where we enjoy ourselves.
I’m a back door man.

No comments: