Saturday, December 18, 2021

You Know

 


I listen to radio. I listen to reviews, news, interviews, opinions and more. Each person who speaks into a microphone for me to listen to has their thoughts have their own style and ability to communicate.

We all know how annoying it is to hear someone trying to get their thoughts together with repetitive ‘ah’ and ‘well I..’ as a pause trying to find the words. Rather than take the time to gather their idea, they stammer through a sentence that in the end makes no sense.

If someone says “I think…” refers to that person’s experiences, readings, experiences accumulated into a personal opinion that can be questioned. If someone says, “A person said…” refers to another thoughts and requires footnotes.

A conversation is an interesting dance. Is it an honest call and response or just ramble chatter until one or another gets tired of the blather. The optimum result is to come away more aware and informed.

Recently I’ve noticed the two words “You Know” popping up more often.

The two words can be put in the front of a sentence or in the middle of a sentence or the end of the sentence. It sometimes seems to be a phase to take a breath or just a coma.

This phase is not the colloquial “You know what I’m saying?” or “Do you know?” as if to question the listener if they understood the thought that was just vocalized. It becomes slang filler.

With my effort of trying to listen better, I’m trying to speak better.

Think before you speak. Get your thoughts together before you disturb the air. This is not easy.

Get into a group of people (especially around this time of year) and everyone is talking or yelling or screaming trying to get attention. Blame it on the drink or the excitement of the moment but we all want to express our opinion (without a comment column).

Talking to another should relay what your thoughts are rather than blah-blah-blah. A good conversation will come back home with you to contemplate.

I have a bad habit of trying to finish another conversation for I feel I know where it is going or I’ve heard it before and want to move on. We all have conversational inequalities but can always try to become better.

So now I’ve planted that ear-worm into your ear, I’ll stay quiet until I need to speak out loud to another person other than myself, for that communication will stay private between me and myself.

You know?

No comments: