Thursday, January 20, 2022

I Promise

 



A: a declaration that one will do or refrain from doing something specified

B: a legally binding declaration that gives the person to whom it is made a right to expect or to claim the performance or forbearance of a specified act.

A promise used to be a handshake. A promise signed the deed. A promise was a Twinkie finger link.

We promise to obey the rules. We promise to be home on time. We promise our love. We promise to pay you back.

“Blah-Blah-Blah”

 

We approve our terms and conditions without reading the fine print and promise to pay our bills on time. We elect people who repeatedly promise to make things better and cheaper. We promise to make up the bed. We promise to take out the trash.

“Blah-Blah-Blah”

A signature on a contract is a promise to adhere to the words on paper. An allegiance to the flag is a promise. Taking an oath to abide with one hand raised and another on a book is a promise.

“Blah-Blah-Blah”

“I promise I’ll never do that again.” “I promise I’ll love you forever.” “I promise I’ll return on time.” “I promise I’ll pick that up.” “I promise I won’t cum in your mouth.”

“Blah-Blah-Blah”

Maybe you heard recently that nations got together to discuss Climate Change. Representatives gather to give speeches, formed working groups and made promises on how each will reduce global warming.

“Blah-Blah-Blah”

Next year they will get back together and show their papers and how the process of reducing fossil fuel is going. There will be more speeches and charts and graphs and statistics and excuses… and promises. Then they will get back into their petrol mobile machines and drive or fly back home to contemplate new promises.

“Blah-Blah-Blah”

 

A promise is only good if the promise is accomplished.

 

 

A promise can be broken

 

 

No comments: