Friday, April 8, 2022

We ❤ Violence

 


We love violence. We must. Check out our history, entertainment, politics and even domestic relationships.

We have a fascination with violence.

If there is a scuffle we gather round to watch with our phone cameras then we rush to our regular social media sites to see other angles of the same incident. Oh what fun is that?

The news feeds us body counts everyday and we gather round to sob and light candles around the chalk lines.

Let’s get real. What we call sports is nothing more than violence. People pounding it out in the squared circle or autos speeding in a circle but what we are hopping for is a gigantic crash to be replayed on the evening news. Football is nothing more than gigantic men pushing and shoving each other on a pitch while basketball sweeps the glossy floor in offensive and defensive maneuvers the pride of any general. The nightly news is filled with the body count from the night before and with good luck you get a body cam video of the occurrence that can be slowed down and repeated for your enjoyment. Go to the big screen and watch our heroes save us by arriving in their ballet tights and pummeling the bad guys. To reinforce the notion that might makes right, there are repetitive of war documentaries and police chases and even competition shows that raise the anticipation until one wins by defeating the other.

Today the carnage is on the other side of the globe and we can’t look away. The difference is these bodies don’t get up for the next scene.

I personally try to avoid violence. I know it is all around me. I do watch the news and the news is now violent entertainment and the weather. When I hear voices rise, I go in the other direction. Does that make me a ‘chicken’?

I know I have the same hormones as everyone else. I feel sorrow of the lost of control of humanity and yet, I know the limit I can tolerate.

I also know the conclusion of violence.

After we wipe off this planet of our own species and our neighbors, what would we do if we met another? 


No comments: