Thursday, July 14, 2022

Boost

 


The latest thing at the Tummy Temple is called ‘Boost’. They already have the grab-scan-go self-checkout and then the order and pick-up and now ‘Boost’.

From what I see on the website, for a yearly fee (like an Amazon membership) one can phone in or Internet in a grocery order (after logging on to your account) and have it delivered the next day.

The produce will be fresh, the meat will be chilled, the frozen stuff will be cold (hopefully) and if you at home at the point of delivery everything can be swiftly slipped into the frig and the bill will be put on your credit card.

Sounds too good to be true?

Now the porch pirates can be having lunch on your stoop when you come home.

I travel to the Tummy Temple everyday, not so much I’m hungry, but to get me out of the house and get some exercise. If I used ‘Boost’ I could just stay home and wait for the announcement that my dinner was on the doorstep.

Lazy convenience?

Now if you leave them the keys, they can put everything away in your kitchen and have the coffee started in the morning. Maybe they can cook all the meals and even eat them for you (diet plan)?

Since the Tummy Temple is only a warehouse that we search and put products in our cart (just like searching online). The difference is we have to pack up everything and lug it home.

The days of window-shopping at the mall with impulse purchases to feed our dopamine are over. Instead of signage pointing out the latest bargains or sales people persuading an additional purchase.

I was wondering about ‘adult beverages’ since that is the slo-down point for the grab and go scanners that have to be checked for an ID of proper age to consume under the laws of the commonwealth.

“Virginia

No more than four cases of wine nor more than four cases of beer may be delivered at one time to any person in Virginia to whom alcoholic beverages may be lawfully sold; except that the permittee may deliver more than four cases of wine or more that four cases of beer if he/she notifies the Department in writing at least one business day in advance of any such delivery, which notice contains the name and address of the intended recipient.”

 

 I have sent messages to headquarters about using the normal store scan card which has your name and address and keeps track of your purchases also know your age. I’m sure they will work out the details.

For now that is all the excitement at the Tummy Temple. Someone(s) likes Texas Pete as much as me so the cupboard is bare. Two police cars with light flashing but no shots fired as I could see as I scurried inside. The usual leftovers from yesterday at the deli but more fresh fruit are available. No excitement or interesting visions but the restock of yard treats now cost twice as much.

I won’t complain because if these big box stores close forcing ordering consumption online to get our daily bread, I’ll have no excuse to go out on the road. I’ve already declined fast food and convenience stores and rarely go to the mom-and-pop stores for special purchases not available online.

Maybe as the legs wear out, I’ll need a ‘Boost’?

No comments: