Thursday, October 27, 2022

Ladders

 



It is the right tool for the right job.

Need to get something above your reach? Need to get down in a hole?

You need a ladder.

There are step stools, extension ladders, wooden ladders and aluminum ladders.

In the summer when home renovations are happening like window replacements or roof replacement or tree trimming or exterior painting, there is a need for ladders.

You can hear them as the white trucks drive up and down the road. Since you can’t pack them in the trunk or fold them up, they have to be placed on top or on a rack in the side secured with bungee cords and rattling about.

A ladder takes up depth but can’t be stuffed into small spaces. They can be leaned up next to the fence or shoved up under the house crawlspace or just stumbled over in the yard.

No what you need a ladder for; you always need another one.

A step stool doesn’t reach what you need; a stepladder is too tall, an extension ladder is so heavy and footstool is too small.

I’ve got many ladders. I’ve got ladders I’ve bought. I’ve got ladders that have been left for me. I’ve got ladders that are scattered through the yard. Painters have left ladders. Power trucks left ladders.

Ladders are too big to fit in a trashcan. Ladders are just awkward to store.

The other day my neighbor was replacing their windows. To do so, required ladders. Unfortunately there was little space between the houses to angle a ladder to climb.

I’ve now got a 25’ heavy-duty extension ladder (left over from painters), a 15’ extension ladder, an 8’ ladder, a 5’ ladder, two double-step stools and a single footrest.

I should be able to reach it, but I’m afraid of heights.

No comments: