Thursday, July 25, 2024

“No Thank You. I’m not hungry”.

 


Maybe it is age? Maybe it is the weather? Whatever it is or isn’t, I’m not hungry. Maybe I’ve eaten everything my taste buds could enjoy to the point; I don’t want them again?

I’ve eaten in some fine restaurants with renowned chefs and enjoyed the cuisine. I’ve eaten at many fast-food joints and greasy slop shops out of paper bags and sugar drinks. I’ve had a wife who studied preparation of meals and purchased all the items needed to prepare a dinner of five-star quality. I even know the basics of searing dead animals on fire and steaming vegetables to perfection, but nothing catches my taste buds anymore.

So, after getting my back tire repaired, I venture off on my usual path to the Tummy Temple as I do every day. Unfortunately, the street repair had dug a ditch and covered with wet gravel that was like quick sand. I dismounted and walked the rest of the way (as I did yesterday). Perhaps uncertainty of balance or not awake yet, I grab a zip cart and enter into the cool room.

The usual blueberries for Gray Jay are retrieved and then I wander as I do, looking for something to stuff in my face.

There is a new $6 salad that looks interesting, but I have leftover fried chicken from yesterday to dispose of. The produce looks fresh, the bread is avoided as is the iced down dead animal. The aisle of sugar drinks has no appeal but I continue to explore.

Tacos? No. Soups? Too hot. Cereal? Requires milk. Noodles? Too filling. Even the ‘Back to School’ supplies look like a return from last year. Shrinkation is all to visual from small bags of chips to soup cans.  

At least after their million dollars refurbish of a new paint job and moving everything about like putting the sushi guys back into the deli grill section, the usual items seem to remain in the same place. One day there are lots of pallets blocking the aisles with no one filling the shelves and the next day they are gone. Seems like the same faces with lack of customer service but I’m not here for personalities.

Onto the frozen food section that has become too familiar since most of what I ‘cook’ is in the microwave. As the glass door windows are dripping in sweat due to the weather. Makes one wonder how ‘fresh’ the boxes of convenience food are?

Rationally knowing that some sort of items called ‘food’ must be consumed every day to fuel the engine that keeps the motion going, but I’m not hungry. No number of oils and sauces can make a plate of ‘food’ appealing and appetizing.

It is not just the Tummy Temple. I wandered down the mall yesterday and got a look at the local fast-food joints. Not only the new taco place or the noodles or the pizza or the sandwich places, the employees looked bored outside as they waited for the lunch hour rush. Not appealing even with all the commercials and signage promising a delicious delight. Show me your menu and plate with sauces or flambe for presentation is everything, but I’ve already seen it or tasted it and now not interested.

I come home with breakfast croissants as a bite size meal and a pint of ice cream for a treat.

What treat are you giving yourself today?

No comments: