Sunday, February 8, 2009

An Early Spring Sunday

Sunday Morning as always with coffee and critters. A brief view of Yosemite in the winter waterfall while the bamboo outside the window glowed in sunshine. Then strap on the jeans and walk outside into the sunshine. Aw, breathe the air. Fresh and warm.

Pause by the pond which is thawing from the cold. Listen to the rustle of the trees as I shift bikes for the morning ride. Again pause and absorb the sunshine. It is much needed.

Stop at the street and face the sky. Clear blue. No clouds. Just sunshine.

Off the formidable path. It has been some time since I had ridden, so this would be a new adventure.

Adjust the fingerless gloves and turn the baseball cap that signs Virginia Commonwealth University in gold on black backwards to avoid the wind. Deep breath and push on.

Early joggers and walkers are out in the warm day, pasty white and pale in the first coming from the cold. But they are out and at a slow pace, such as I, starting to enjoy the new year.

The hills seem taller and harder to climb, but that is why they created gears on the bike. I shift down.

Past "Stuffys" sandwich shop on Libbie. I'll be back here again before the day is over with lunch for me and the dog.

Turn toward downtown and start to feel the heat. Maybe I should stop and go home and remove the grey sweatshirt. No, press on.

Dug the tree branches and stop at the street where you grew up. Take a breathe and pause for the light. Big black SUV turns to the right in front of you just for the smell of the exhaust. thanks.
Down the familiar. Over the bridge and into stride. The movement feels better now.

Up into the fan and over the mounds of black tar filling in holes to maintain pipes of gas and water supplying houses for over 100 years. Tiny mountains proclaiming the infrastructure is decaying.

Turn the corner and back again.

Trees empty branches cast shadows across my eyes like a blinding strobe light. Press on.
The road familiar yet ever changing. New faces, new experiences.

Turn pass the hospital where a friend took his last breath, and past the museum. I got to go there more often. The paintings and art used to inspire me, but now it is magazines and visuals on the computer. Must get back to pencil on paper. It is what I know.

Wait for the line of church goers to pass before I continue the trek.

Should I go up the hill or go around it? The path is easy to move to the right and go around.
NO! Continue up the hill. It may be difficult, but that is what this trek is for. Since it is early spring and I have not ridden in a few weeks, I downshift. It hurts my soul but saves my heart. I make it to the top and continue pass the Greek church and down hill from here.

More runners and walkers. Still pale. But enjoying the first warmth of the new season.
Swing back to the alley and the sounds of pups begging for treats, motorcycles, and birds.

A good day over all.

1 comment:

Art said...

These "ride stories" are wonderful. Your descriptions are so vivit that I can see the street, hear the wheels, spell the air and feel the wind.

Finefarkingtastic