Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Hawker

Recently I went to an exhibition of house and yard ideas presented to the public, at a fee but mine was free, to inform, persuade, and sell products to the citizens of this burg before the show moved on to the next burg or ville. Hundreds of 3 foot by 3 foot squares for people and products to catch the passing eye. Row after row of similar displays and people sitting in chairs as the flow goes by.

Who are these wandering gypsies? They pack their wares in mobile machines and unpack in a city or town to poles draped in material with lights and cords and tables and they sit. Patiently sit. Impassively sit. Watching and occasionally displaying their craft and knowledge and maybe, maybe making a sale.

And I wonder?

Why don't they talk to the passerby?

This is important to them, it must be because they came all this way with all their stuff and unpacked it and set it up for 4 days, but they don't say anything.

I've seen it in art shows in the park. Artist, painter, crafters.... will sit and watch people come by. The onlooker will stare at the "art", touch it, critique it, and many times pass it by with a snub. The originator of the "art" will sit passively and listen. It hurts. I know. I've done art shows.

What makes "them" so knowledgeable to comment on your creative thoughts and presentations in glass, paint, paper, wood, or whatever media? Who gives them the right to criticize or judge "your" ideas.

So I say, STAND UP and face the onlooker. Describe the process of discovery and application of an idea or thought. In each of us it's original.

I was impressed by a hawker at the local home and garden show who was selling knives. I've always be fascinated by the flashy steel so I smiled when I heard him. He has a microphone headset to keep his hands free for the demonstration. "So get out your $39.00 and open those bags. I'm putting one in each of them. Stolen credit card, get away from me...." The chatter went on and on and the crowd loved it. I saw 6 knives leave fully paid for and customers smiling.

Was that salesmanship or customer service?

I recently wrote about bad service and got several comments (thank you). The comments were more on the observation of the diversity of the situation rather than the experience, but I understand it. My editor commented before any of you saw it, so I peppered a few more references in to see if there would be a reaction.

I must explain, I've grown up in the capital of the Confederacy. The stars and bars (the south's battle flag during the War Between The States) was on display everywhere. I had a CSA belt buckle and a statue of Robert E. Lee on my shelves. I remember the Highty Tightys of VPI (later VA. Tech where my brother went to college) playing "Dixie" at the president inauguration every four years and feeling proud my state was representative. And I'm old enough to remember seeing the last Confederate solider being driven in a convertible on the Tobacco Parade.

But I also did not have any contact with any race of color, except as waiters or maids, until I was in high school. And then it was a closed segregated society. Only music brought me together with a young singer who filled out the basement band.

And I also was proud of the civil rights movement and though I sang the songs I did not march. I was thrilled by the Afro look and glad my karate black belt friend from work who went onto California to TV and comedy, was showing pride in his race.

It struck me years later, I didn't see a difference, but I know the past experience is ingrained in my being and it will take generations to overcome.

With that said, if you have a passion, or just a job, and you do not give a HAWKER approach to it, you are watching the world walk by. Enjoy your knowledge and share with others. They might be put off, so move to the next one. They may ask questions, so prove to them, you know the answers they need to make an informed decision.

We are all selling. We are selling our job knowledge. We are selling our looks and perceptions of who we are to the general public. We are selling our ideas and thoughts. Some of us make money off of this. Some of us do this better than others. Some walk away with cash in hand and no knives left.

Think about what you are "selling" and be a HAWKER.

3 comments:

Art said...

Good clarification of the service article.

nimrodstudios said...

Merely a product of our times.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back, blogger! Editor?