Sunday, March 11, 2012

Have a Good Laugh everyday

-->

Since life is so quiet now without any conversation except to inanimate objects the only voices I hear are those coming through the speakers of the radio. And once in a while I hear a phrase or thought or joke or sentence that makes me actually laugh out loud. Not a snicker or a blow of air but an outright chuckle. Sometimes it brings a tear to my eye. Sometimes it hits a nerve. Usually it is absurd and totally unexpected. It just happens.

Very few familiar jokes have the same affect but there is one television show that consistently gives me a laugh. M*A*S*H is back on television at the same time that it used to be, right after dinner. Used to watch that show every night. It was the show the settled us down together for a night of reacting to the critters silently sleeping then suddenly running and causing mass confusion inter-sprinkled by quiet conversation during the commercials with sips of alcohol or herbal cigarettes. It was a short moment in time but was religiously watched. Though the theme of the show was repulsive to me having tripped through the movie from wince it was copied and cleaned up for television. Luckily the cast had familiar names but different faces and the writers clouded the absurdity and drastic consequences of war with humor so how many times I watch any episode I get a chuckle. It is guaranteed.

The best laughs are the ones you didn’t anticipate. I’ve never was thrilled by slap stick comedy even growing up with the “3 Stooges” or the “Monkees”, but off beat comment can catch me unaware and I break a smile into a guffaw. A prate fall does little for me unleash it is brought to me by a bunny jumping over a pair of scooting chipmunks as it winds up in a John Belushi stance ears erect. I don’t laugh at the antics at the moment but feel that warm lump that comes seeing nature’s original gymnastics. There is a laugh inside that just doesn’t make a sound. 

So the story goes to enjoy a good laugh, everyday.

No comments: