Friday, April 20, 2012

The Yard Boss





-->
I took the picture from some distance and it was a little shaky so pardon my technique, but this little brown fur ball is the Yard Boss. If you look close you can she her tucked away in the tall grass. That is her spot.

Every morning as I venture out into “Puppywoods” to great the day I quietly walk down the path and when I reach the spot say in a soft voice” Good morning Bun Bun”. Her eyes are wide open and she sits still fully knowing I was coming from the first step I took into her yard. I walk past then pause to observe the yard listening to the sounds of the morning.

Grabbing a bike I prepare for the morning ride in slow motion. As I walk out toward the gate I request Bun-Bun to keep an eye of the yard that I may never see again.

Upon return all hot and sweaty I slow the pace and make a familiar clicking sound that I make everyday to alert the yard that it is only me and don’t be upset by the motion.

So what does this have to do with anything?

Well the yard as I accepted it when I purchased this ground was the usual green-carpet that required that I use my weekends to water and mow and rack and trim to be like every other neighbor. 

Then I met this woman who introduced me to nature. I wasn’t so concerned by the nature but I followed her instructions and became Manuel Labor digging holes and placing pots of sticks in predestinated spots with no idea of what was happening. All the nurseries and Lowes profited by the constant journeys and aching travels back bundled with leaves and pots and all sorts of green things. And when that was too much, the delivery trucks started arriving.

Of course I had a job and left this mischief during the workday and arrived back in the dark not fully understanding what was going on, but it made her happy so I was more than willing to provide the means.

Slowly but Shirley, the yard was transformed. The few trees that were present at purchase were removed and more planted. The grass was removed and the dirt covered in black plastic pinned down to hold in place. Craters were dug then filled with mulch and trees and shrubs and flowers. Raised beds were constructed and a pond filled the ditch. Even a garden area was tilled that routinely moved.
Now my attention was on work that was growing increasingly more complex and time consuming but all this was going on in the background.

So today, I took the day off, and stayed in the forest with the yard boss. 

With all the hustle and bustle going on around, people driving talking on phones, the mad pace is only slowed when one takes time to walk in the park. If you are lucky there are woods near by to visit or perhaps a beach to vacation for a few days the day-to-day stress can be relieved for a short period of time. 

If the yard boss allows it, you can reside in the splendor of what nature is all about and if you provide water and sustenance they will come. All those guys that were here before the bull dowser moved the dirt to build this subdivision in the late 40’s for the returning WWII vets will come back if you provide the right environment. 

So the forest of “Puppywoods” was formed and maintained. It is my responsibility now to provide for the creatures who have found refuge in this tiny spot of rest in the busily city. 

So as the Yard Boss settles into her spot to spread out in the sun and nap I go to the store every day and buy seed and peanuts. Like clockwork the yard awakens when I spread the buffet to the hungry faces. Then the entertainment begins. 

For a cost less than cable the scooters and the yard monkeys frolic in the Yard Bosses court. Performing their acrobatics and warning of danger, the ground is alive with life as it was before I got here and hopefully after I’m gone. 

Taking time to notice the inchworms that everyone is complaining about, it is just a cycle of life. The dried leaves which will blow off the trees and provide mulch and the constant movement of light giving direction to the feathered friends who come and go. 



A pair of black-capped chickadees has made a home in the old cherry tree that is on its last leg. 

Don’t know where the hole came from but they are busy going back and forth carrying little pieces of leaves and grain and whatever they pickup. I tried to get a photo of them but they are too fast. And if you are a squirrel and get to close to their home be prepared to get a peck on the head.

So for the past three years I have been the grounds keeper and decided to let what was planned grow. I’ve even sat through a hurricane watching the branches sway in awe. 

I’ve learned to appreciate what should be constant to everyone. So as the lawnmowers roar in the background and the sirens brings the howls of the dogs here the critters are sheltered from civilization. 

And so am I thanks to the Yard Boss.

No comments: