Wednesday, September 13, 2017

End of Summer


The yard is quiet now. There are not as many faces at the daily buffet. There is not the flutter of activity. There are no wake-up calls in the morning. It is the end of summer.
Grey Jay left a few weeks ago back to Florida and might be rethinking that decision but with her the Robins left, the Blue jays became sparse and the Cardinals couple only come around at dusk. Only one bunny comes by as the sunsets and is skittish. Soon the little scooters will be scooting down their holes for a winter nap and the tree monkeys will pack their treetop houses with extra padding.
The seed is being left by the clean up crew and the blueberries have lost their favor leaving leftovers for the late night creatures. It is the end of summer.
The kids are back in school and the sound of constant lawnmowers and leaf blowers is limited to weekend mornings. There is still construction noise but it stops at five when the neighbors come home and fill the parking lot.
So as the temps are becoming more pleasant I rock on the porch at night and ponder the end of summer. What does it mean when summer is over?
Summer vacations and the logistics of packing the family into a vehicle to travel some distance to enjoy each other and bond through texting and selfies will be done with until next year. Enjoy medical mishaps like sunburn, snakebites, mosquitoes, and any assortment of stomach ailments keep the excitement of the unexpected. Not only returning home with shoes full of sand but additional t-shirts and tacky trinket never to be used again.
Summer is over so it is time to put away the shorts and bring out the big boy pants, strap on a sweatshirt and continue in the mundane life for everyday is a vacation.
So as I rock in the dark while everyone else sleeps I think of those tourist, vacationers, travelers who find it necessary to wander during their down time. Agree that you cannot fully experience the Grand Canyon until you are there but some just don’t want to see a big ditch. The ruins of Europe, Middle East, and Far East have been filmed and photographed but some feel the passion of being there. To get away from the monotony of everyday existence is more than a goal but is it necessary?
My mind wanders to a time when I did travel far and wide. The destination wasn’t nearly as interesting as the process. The traveling companions made the over-priced glass of wine or the plate of semi-cooked bland dishes enjoyable. Even traveling alone, my temperament is mellow enough to adjust with the hazards of long distance searches for another life. I’ve slept in airports, checked into roach hotels, eaten at greasy spoons and conversed with people I would avoid on a normal day.
So after all the summer travel is done and everyone has gone home, what is left? The locals are still there.
Some are called townies but they are the ones who live in the same location visited by others who then go away. The locals decided to stay in a location maybe for generations. They stock the grocery store. They bring you food and drink. They repair your car. They give you directions when the GPS is not good enough. They attend churches. They fill the potholes. They have BBQs and parades. They put out fires and teach the children.
In small rural areas they might be impressed by the city folk passing through in their fancy cars and chic couture that is unavailable in these parts. Beaches and amusement parks have a few months to make years salary from folks who will pay fee for a good time without worrying about what happens when they leave.
I’m a townie. A local. I’ve stayed in the same neighborhood, in the same city, in the same state for most of my life. I’ve attended schools I could walk to including university. I worked for a local company continually getting raises and titles and responsibilities until forced retirement. I live in a house a few blocks from where I grew up and am very happy here.
I could tell you the best places to eat but most of them have disappeared and become microbreweries. I could tell you the best places to stay but most of them are out-of-town chains now or a few expensive establishments. I could tell you sites to see and places to go but so can Google.
Again I live in a town that lost it’s relevance 150 years ago and can be easily by-passed.
So why do I stay?
Why not go off to some far off land seeking unknown adventures and wonders?
A city is pretty much a city to me. Skyscrapers, restaurants, traffic; pedestrians, local news, network shows, events and entertainment are pretty much the same. The bistros in New York are no better than the few hole-in-the-wall diners I frequent. A beer in San Francisco is no better than opening a can in the backyard.
While I don’t make a point of becoming familiar with other locals, some do recognize me from frequently seeing me on the street and wave.
Being a local I know the places to go to get good deals and recognize when old friends leave and the search will continue. I know parts of town to avoid and places that can be inspiring and relaxing. Being a local I’ve seen the changes and am satisfied in my place in the community.
While I can’t dig my toes in the sand, the weather is fairly mild with 4-seasons and an occasional storm or two. Life can be patterned by the season’s regularity and no complaints.
Tonight I rock in the dark and silence only missing the waves calling. This is what vacations are about; the freedom to relax.
As the night grows longer I’m entertained by the shadows and the moonlight and the realization that this could be Lebanon or Scottsville or Beaver Falls or Middleton or Locust Grove or a million other burgs and villages and waysides where families have settled and grew families and started businesses and watched their children grow and buried their dead and formed memories no outsider will ever understand.
There are a few places I’ve had enough time to spend with other townies of different localities and been accepted into their community. Those were very special times with amazing memories.
As the sun is starting to come up, this old local will have to retire for the evening feeling secure that staying was the right decision… at least for now.

No comments: