Sunday, October 28, 2018

Where do you go to escape?


It seems reality is pretty tough. Life is rough and sometimes we have to escape.
From limited research, seems many of us started escaping in books. Books of all types took us to fictional places and presented different ideas never imagined in our family construct.
In our youth, life was regimented and thus restricted, so any creativity was suppressed. The schoolbooks only repeated facts and formulas from times past but there was no variation. Follow the doctrine and repeat after me; but the library held more books than were required reading.
For many of us, the books, even graphic novels (comics) were a way to get away from our boring existence. If any of our friends read the same books we could discuss our interpretations and bond over another’s thoughts and words.
Sports were always a good escape. Wear a uniform with team building discipline and exercise. Sports was an outside escape, but couldn’t be played inside.
Performance arts could be an escape if not just pressured by parents. Dancing and singing and playing an instrument gave confidence and again formed team building, but it was a lot of work.
These escapes did fill the hours of what would have been boredom.
Electronics brought the revolution of magical boxes that presented moving images and sound to grab our attention and suck us into a hypnotic escape. It didn’t take any effort, like going to a movie or checking out a book.
Medications seem a popular way to escape. Seems since time began, we as a species have worked hard at finding different potions and concoctions to escape reality. Some are legal and some are not, but there is more to go around for everyone. It does seem that we indulge to obsession or an early death.
Some might escape into family drama, which will take time and effort away from the mundane wake-work-home-sleep pattern. Others may become overwhelmed by physical pleasure.
When we wake in the morning (hopefully) what is on our list of things-to-do for the day? You got 24 hours to figure it out until the next sunrise.
There are the chores like taking out the trash or cleaning the litter box or making the bed or going to the grocery to get a refill of olive oil, but then what?
Work and school and family requirements take time but then what?
Most of these time consuming activities are the reasons for escaping.
Today there are breaking news events and live videos and streaming opinions of horror stories that have no endings. While the fodder feeds the masses cultural values are changing.
I ride a bicycle. That means I am not sheltered in a metal and glass shell when I travel. That means I am vulnerable.
What that means is I’m aware of what is going on around me. I’m alert of the movement of traffic, the sounds and smells in the air, and most of all the people around me. I’ve had a few unusual interactions with people who I would normally avoid. If feeling threatened, I find a way to move onto shelter. Even if I was packing (which I am not) a bicycle frame is not much protection.
Paranoia or awareness, I can’t explain. Times have changed.
When I make my daily venture to the Tummy Temple and lock up my pony I scan the parking lot. Is anyone driving erratic? Are there any loud voices? Is there a police car present? I’ve seen folks dragged out in shackles and hope when I enter the building will not have to avoid aisle 13 due to yellow tape. When I pass a stranger who looks confused or angry, I go the other way.
I’ll lock the gate, feed the yard, turn off the news and turn on the music. I’ve escaped for another day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

bookmarked!!, I love your web site!