Saturday, June 1, 2019

Encounters


Every time we have gatherings or happenings or festivals or barroom brawls, we have encounters.
Whether it be a church social or a luxury cruise or a doctor visit or some office-required occasion, we have encounters.
The other day at the Tummy Temple I had several encounters.
There was Pat (from her name tag). She has been there for some time and we’ve struck up some brief conversations in passing. Pat is a short woman with blonde hair and wearing a blue jacket who is directing other blue shirts on task at hand. She also seems to be the management’s customer service person that hands balloons to children and helping the elderly process the confusion of purchasing sustenance. I recognize her and she recognize me as a frequent flyer and we kid with each other for a moment both leaving with a laugh.
On my travels I always look for a pleasant smile. There are too many faces seemingly disturbed by whatever I cannot control or understand, so a smile welcomes the day to sunshine.
Any gathering, whether work related or socially required, there are interactions between people. Some are strangers. Some are forgotten friends. Some sort of substance abuse seems necessary to break down the defensive social barriers.
Think about getting onto a transportation device. Do you talk to the person sitting next to you for hours? Do you put on earphones and ignore the person sitting inches away?
A social occasion with old friends for a celebration of an anniversary, grandkids birthday, holiday gathering or family reunion means you have to have encounters with society.
Individual small talk usually starts with how we are fairing. Thus the descriptions of our physical pains and woes become the immediate topic.
Unless there is some new and adventurous occasion that has happened, the conversation quickly drifts to children or purchases to divert the listener from the visual observation and evaluation of the other participant.
Going to a restaurant is nothing but encounters. The maitre d’ may find your appearance acceptable and sliding a few dead presidents will get you a table away from the crash traffic that are restaurants. Your service may be primed or if you decide to be belligerent, your food will arrive cold, your water will not be refilled and your check will become late. No matter the tip, the experience was a disaster.
Walk into a party or a business establishes looking for a romantic connection as an encounter. No matter the number of text or tweets, an encounter requires a face-to-face appearance.
Had an encounter with a girl stacking the shelves at the Tummy Temple. She caught my eye as a different sort, seemingly in control but different that the other blue shirts. Not quiet Goth, but dressed dark. She said she was a ‘vendor’ not a contractor but I don’t know the difference of the meaning. She spoke of not being happy in her task but was there day after day. She once noticed me and gave me a smile.
That is all I ask.
Some encounters can change your life. Some encounters may get you a job. Some encounters may get you in trouble. Some encounters may get you laid.
As I was leaving, a dark gentleman came staggering toward the door as I was exiting. Wearing a white tee shirt and baggy jeans and a black backpack he shuffled toward the passageway as I weaved around him. “Give me a beer”, he slurred as I avoided his attention. “NO!” I responded and went about my duties, but he didn’t want it to stop. He mumbled something that I ignored but then walked over to me. I said something about ‘Go inside they have lots of beer in there’. (Remember 9:00AM) He said something about ‘just forget I ever said anything’ and held his fist up. I finished putting on my glove and gave him a fist bump that knocked him backward. I pointed to a sign on the light pole and said, “Do you see that? It says no loitering. You want the guy with the type on the side of his car to come by and take you home?” My new best friend just stared into space unaware of cognition. I rode off and said ‘Have a nice day’ and he replied ‘You too’ and the encounter was over.
This encounter could have gone many different ways and I don’t know what ever happened to the fella, but that is how those brief moments in life goes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is just the process of making specific search phrases,
that are relevant to your website visible high up in the search
engine rankings. Typically, it's good practice to maintain about a 5%
usage for your keywords or phrases. By using a service that can provide you will all
of the various choices, you will save time and money getting online and noticed.