Saturday, January 23, 2021

Pictures on the radio

 


“Pictures on the radio” I heard this phrase on the radio today. A new book of David’s Gilkey photographs, titled Pictures on the Radio, memorializes both his work, and David himself, through memory-filled essays from several of his former NPR colleagues, closing with an afterword by his mother Alyda Gilkey.

I listen to the radio. I listen all day. I don’t watch television. Why?

Radio, to me, is like a conversation. When you meet someone, if they have something interesting to say or informative or entertaining, then you keep listening. You may learn something or get a laugh or a feeling from someone you’ve never seen. It is only their voice. There is none of the flash bang of television and is not broken up by commercials. Just the pitch and pace of words spoken through a little speaker to me and me alone is how I listen.

I listen exclusively to NPR. Yes, I donate. I don’t change channels. Every radio in every room is turned to NPR. I find it the most rewarding for intelligent opinions and discussions, updates on news and marketing information without entertainment and they are the only ones with classical music.

I do use the Internet for images and videos, local news and weather. I check several news sites for different points of views, but rely on NPR for ‘the truth’.

My point is someone somewhere else talking into a microphone is reading something that a journalist has investigated and editors have arranged for this voice to tell me what is the news of the world. How this unknown face speaks describes enough information for my imagination and interpretation to visualize in my mind.

Reading a book is similar. The authors writes the words to pull the reader into mystical worlds, travel through the ages to places never seen without pictures. The author hopes the reader can understand the thoughts and feelings without having to reference previous chapters or stop reading to check the encyclopedia.

The difference with radio is someone is reading it to me.

In some cases the reading is fast and disjointed in the excitement of the moment or jammed by a time deadline. Other times are soothing voices that can pace the mood.

Before the pandemic our species enjoyed gathering and having conversations. Sometimes they were debates and other times just the joy of hearing another voice.

So in our sequestered days, to hear someone else’s voice comes through a speaker or headphones. Unfortunately it is a one-way conversation for no matter what you say back, they can’t hear you.

This is also a good time to practice how we talk, what we say, when to speak and when to listen.

Imagine if you will, describing the Leonardo da Vinci’s painting “Mona Lisa” to someone who is blind? Can you describe color and hue and shades of light? Can you relate the style and technique by a historical reference or other pieces of artwork? How can you describe the smile?

In this time a tsunami of images, words, opinions and stories can become more distracting than informative. I’ve tried to trim the flow of unnecessary or repetitive messages that cuts down the distraction and allows an intellectual focus. At the same time, I try to listen to what others say.

Being in isolations allows the words, thoughts, ideas, and theories to be diagnosis, deciphered and digested rather than the constant noise and chatter known as ‘normal’ before. This time also allows moments of silence to appreciate where and who you are.

There are lots of words used to describe objects, relay messages, preach opinions and teach. If the passage of ideas not blocked by bias or judgment, maybe learning experience.

Take the time to listen.

No comments: