Sunday, March 26, 2023

Ah Ha Moment

 




Oh boy! New toys!! Let’s see what works and what doesn’t.

I guess this is how it feels to get a new car and try it out. I wouldn’t know because if I got behind the wheel now-a-days, I wouldn’t know how to start it, much less drive, but this is a computer and I used to know things about computers… so here goes.

Start with the ‘new-to-me’ 15” refurbished 2017 MacBook Pro.

First of all, it is running OS Ventura 13.3.1. I just got over kittycats and into mountains but this is the latest and greatest.

Second, this computer doesn’t have a start-up button. You raise the lid and batta-bing-botta-boom it starts by itself. Is that how cars start now? Instead of a crank, you just raise the hood?

Third, the desktop is sharp and crisp and colorful. I’ve been looking at dusty screen in the dark with dark glasses for so long, this imaging is blinding.

So I’ll limit the details of all the surprises and secrets that I found after a decade.

One big surprise was ALL my software that had taken so long to copy (approx. 100G) was automatically updated. The newest version of Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite appeared for FREE!

I had to make some adjustments like connect with a wireless mouse and connect e-mail, but the Internet popped up as if I’d never left.

Did I tell you how fast this is? And the NEW keyboard and touch sensitive. This is fun. (Smiley face emoji here)

I told the rep I was buying this computer to record music so he gassed it up with GarageBand and Logic Pro and Final Cut for editing. I may have to purchase and external CD/DVD writer for they don’t put those on laptops any more, or I would have to use the cloud? s

The shell has a new cover that sparkles in the sunshine.

So satisfied with this one I move onto the previous problem laptop with the sticky keys.

First, it also has a new blue shell and new blue keys and a NEW operating system. And a Siri button.

Second, it is much faster and had to be reconnected to wireless mouse. 

Third, opening every app presented a new window with updated software and tools relocated through the years.

I’m checking the battery life and decide to opening the new recharging unit and plug it in.

The old USB cords I’ve used for years (after the SCSI 12-pin connectors went away) have now been replaced with a USB-C connection.

I’d asked the rep about an adapter since everything I used had the old USB cords and he included a 4-plug old USB to NEW USB-C hub. Wowie Zowie! That was easy.

Then I went to plug the NEW USB-C plug into my now-refurbished 15-year-old laptop and it didn’t fit. There were multiple ports but the USB-C plug did not fit any of them.

Now this can’t be?

All this up-dated turn-of-the-century upgrades and the plug won’t charge the ever-draining battery.

I picked up the laptop and looked it over to see if there was another port I’d missed. Then I did what any good nerd would do. I went to YouTube.

There were multiple videos showing how to plug a power cord into a wall outlet and then into the computer. How to plug in a power cord for Dummies?

It made since but didn’t match ports on this blue computer?

Then the “Ah Ha!” moment.

It was the other computer.

So, I took my old blue laptop back in the house and the old magnet snap in power cord worked. Just like it did before the new shell. Just like it did before the refurbish. Just like it did before I got confused with having too many computers.

And another surprise (to me) was the new shell did NOT cover the CD/DVD drive as I thought it had. The old USB ports with the old wired mouse and printer.

This had just been an upgrade.

Solution is to take the NEW-TO-ME laptop and sure enough it plug into the power cord just like the video showed.

I image if you have two cars and you get in the wrong one and can’t find your cupholder must be the same ‘duh’ moment.

I’m happy with the upgrades so far. I’m finding more software I’d forgotten about over the years because I didn’t use them on a daily basis. Having the latest and greatest version of antique software that is questionable of source or serial number is Christmas come early.

Last night I upgraded GarageBand and it took 10 hours to download all the accessories and option tweaks now available in the 21st century. So much for an old guy to comprehend.

Next is to fix the printer so I can send in my taxes by snail mail. I checked some prices and might have to just purchase a new one.

Life goes on with changes in technology.


1 comment:

Jim Harris, Artist said...

Hey Clyphord, this is a great article. I do know what it is like to have two cars... both Debbie and I own 2019 Buicks. Her's is an Enclave and mine the much smaller Encore. They are both top of the line with lots of bells and whistles, yet neither of us likes driving the other person's car because for some reason most of the bells and whistles operate differently in each vehicle! In the world of computers, I am largely clueless. Nearly all the features you talked about are beyond my knowledge. All I want from my laptop and tablet is to be able to retrieve, read and mail emails; to create documents and save document files, and to save store my photos (in the cloud) so I have something to pass on to my 9 grandchildren, who likely won't look at them or truly appreciate them until they, too, are old! Of course, I also enjoy Facebook, reading the NYT inline and playing spades, hearts and solitaire. I have a USB connected floppy disc drive and I am gradually downloading files and pix from those, and also copying and converting to jpegs my slides using a digital slide copier.