Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Southern Comfort


A way of life. It was a different time, but some still remember what ‘southern comfort’ is. It is not just a bourbon but a way of life. Slower and reflective for a reason.

There was no television or radio for entertainment or information, there was no electricity. No air-conditioning or refrigeration or in-door plumbing, No laptops or cellphones or automobiles. No escaping to the beach or the chill of the mountains.

Southern comfort was to get out on the veranda in a rocking chair. Alone you might want to whittle a stick or cross stich or read a book (as long as the sunlight) or play a banjo for others to sing-a-long. Company were welcomed to adjoin to the porch for a glass of sweet lemonade and a good conversation. No one was invited inside due to the steamy heat of the day and the kitchen preparation of the next meal. The arrival of mail or a newspaper were cherished and shared with others.

Watching the sunset holding hands with another and quiet conversation is southern comfort mostly forgotten. It seems when you go on vacation you cherish these moments. Why can’t you create them every day?

Every evening I look forward to my quiet time on the porch. Sometimes I watch the neighbors walk by with their carriages and pups. Sometimes I bring out the iPad to listen to news or music (headphones optional). Sometimes I just sit and watch my tree and my neighbors settle in for the evening. Sometimes I rock my way into a nap. Sometimes it is chilly requiring a sweater and a lap blanket. Sometimes it is so warm inside, rocking in the dark in your skivvies can’t be seen due to the yard is for the night critters.

I appreciate time spent in southern comfort. 


Rock on.


No comments: