Thursday, November 30, 2023

Sleeping in your gloves

 



Just beginning of the cold days. My usual ride to the Temple for substances and conversation and upon arriving home decided indoors was a bit cooler than it should be.

My usual check is the thermostat and if the display is not showing the AA batteries have run dry. 2- replacements and the furnace roars back to action under my feet.

Not today.

I go back outside to my little heater, after tinkering with the thermostat numbers. As a usual progressionist, I will wait until morning before calling the HVAC guys. How bad can it be?

I climb under my one thin blanket and curl up in a ball as the temperature keeps dropping. My hands are cold and I can’t seem to warm them up.

After a long night of tossing and turning, I call for help once the sun comes up. The blue truck arrives around 3PM and Philip finds there is a wheel on the blower locked up. He will have to order the part, so it will be another night of cold.

I like gloves. I have a drawer full of riding gloves (some with fingers, some without) and find a nice knit pair that will suffice. Thin enough to type on the keyboard.

I also open the ancient cedar truck for the $100 hand woven white blanket stored for such an emergency.

Long johns, socks, gloves and wool blanket and I’m set for sleeping in the refrigerator. No skull cap, but I’ve been here before.

Early morning call and the part is available and will be schedule to installation today. Quick ride to refresh bones and breath, when the phone chimes Philip is back with the replacement part.

Clip out the old one, plug in the new one and the heat arises.

I guess that is my Christmas present to myself? No, I did not leave a tip.

No comments: