Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Good Morning - Wham! Bam! Thank You Maam!


The paper hits my chest and the light flashes above. 

I slowly open my eyes and I'm ordered, "Sit Up!" A pillow and then another is thrown at me with orders to "Sit back against the pillows!".  A cat runs across the newspaper in my lap leaving a nice gouge while a scratching dog takes up half the bed. 

"Here, take this, it's hot" as I'm handed a large cup of coffee. While still trying to scratch my eyes open, I turn and place the coffee on the side table. "Here, take this..." she said while handing me a large white plate. 

As I scurried around the bed to wipe the hair from my eyes, blinded by the light, and balance the bacon, fork, knife, and two patties... 

"I tried to make waffles, but the machine I bought yesterday, didn't work, so I made them in the egg maker." she complained. 

She reentered the room with a bowl of cereal and said, "How is it?" I poured some syrup over the mass and cut a chuck. Popped into my mouth and said, "Ummm, good." 

"Give me that plate." 

"This is crap." The bowl of cereal was pushed in my face. "Here, eat this. It's your second choice breakfast." With a huff, she walked out of the room. 

That's it. I arose, walked into my dressing room, slide the wallboard door to the side and got dressed. 7:00 a.m. Time for work. 

She had disappeared. I opened the front door to see her sitting on the porch "Go away, I don't want to be bothered." OK.

The air was cool and I started my daily ride. There was mist in the air, but it grew thicker. Great. I'm riding into the rain. What kind of day is this going to be. 

But as I rode the mist stopped. The constant familiar ride began to loosen my tight thoughts. As the sun brightened the sky, I relaxed. Even to stop and change course behind the trash trucks made the day more enjoyable. The mind and eyes and ears kicked in. Back in the groove.

And to guarantee the change, two cranes flew over as I entered the parking deck to lock up my wheels. 

The rest of the day seemed normal. Work, phone calls, emails, panic all around, but lunch was calm and got my chores done. 

And to end a tough morning and a normal day, a fine evening with a friend. Some good creative laughs over a few beers. Inspiration to write another day.

And so it goes. Just another life.

                            From Blind Kiwi Hoover, blue guitarist and all around Delta

No comments: