Saturday, December 8, 2018

What was yours?


At the end of the year all the surveys start.
·      What was the best movie for 2018?
·      What was your favorite book for 2018?
·      What did you binge watch on in 2018?
·      What was your favorite meal in 2018?
·      What was the best fashion you found in 2018?
·      What was your favorite song for 2018?
A year in review, but no one ask the important questions.
·      What was the kindest act you made in 2018?
·      What did you create in 2018?
·      Who’s life did you change in 2018?
·      How did you do on your 2018 resolutions?
Other than putting up a new calendar, Monday is like Thursday as is like Sunday. The sun comes up and the sun goes down. When it is light, people and animals wander about doing their chores and necessities and when it is dark, they all sleep*.
At the end of the year we add names of the babies and scratch out the names of the dead.
While this sounds cynical, the end of the year is about reflection with a look forward to new ideas and hopes. Without that we would look back at all the disasters and shootings and wars and inhumanity to our own species and falter. There must be a promise of a better time to come. Go get a religion if you don’t believe me.
Music is that spirit that keeps me going. I carry some from long ago in my internal jukebox and listen to as much new sounds as possible. This time of year, I look back, at which songs caught my ear in the past year.
I’ve always liked John Prine. I think he is a good storyteller, in the same genre as Randy Newman or Harry Nilsson. Simple songwriting by a man and guitar has become my preference in later life.
So I heard this song from his latest album and it stuck with me.

 
Then this video appeared. It is my bookmark song for 2018.


What was your favorite song for 2018?

No comments: