Saturday, February 2, 2019

You’ve Got Mail


No, not that little alert sound you’ve selected on your phone to immediately check to see the latest place someone is eating or the video of their kids playing in the snow, but the paper trail that arrives in a box at your front door.
Woke up at the sunrise today or else I wouldn’t be writing this. Rumble around and wander into the kitchen to heat up some water to fill the cup of magic powder that will awaken my brain. Looking out the window there are no broken windows in the parking lot and no bodies on the lawns.
Check the woods and the creatures are moving slowly but the sun is coming out. Best to feed them today.
First things first, turn on the magic box that connects us all to see if the world was destroyed last night and I didn’t get the text message. Nope, just puppies, children and senseless memes fill the screen and can’t scroll fast enough to get them out of my way. Check the e-mails, just incase someone had a thought or a question, but no one does. Guess I should turn on my phone now.
After some warm water and a new costume, check one more time for that urgent message that isn’t there.
Several days confined is a awaking to the sunshine. It is colder than I thought it would be but I’m prepared in layers. The chill on my cheeks reminds me that I’ve shaved. Fresh air is most rewarding.
Drop off the monthly fees for living in the blue box and avoid the ice and the heavy traffic. Seems there were lots of other cabin fever kids or are they just getting prepared for the big game tomorrow?
More bumper cars than usual, but I’ve got nothing but time. This is my movie and the dancers are active, yet I don’t know the script. Not hungry then decide on nachos. Shredded cheez, sour cream (do they have a smaller tub?), peppers, salsa…. Seems others are thinking nachos too. Twist around and go another direction and weave back to find a new group of deer gazed eyes staring at the salsa. The phone comes out and I reverse my course. Look! Another guitar magazine!! Finally grab the refried beans (I really don’t like them but…) and head to the scan, grab and go…. But there is a traffic jam, so cruise around some more.
Keith scans me out and the lines are filled with impatient explorers questing for a spot. Big boots and bouncing boobs. Life is good in the sunshine. The air, even in a parking lot, smells fresh. Been in the cave too long.
Spread the feast for the hungry and watch. Better check the computer again for someone might have….?
Move into the heated area and prepare too much food for the game I will not watch. Time to look again for a message and there it is.
This is nothing special. Just usual nonsense but it is the only conversation I have. Take time to think how to respond, as if writing with pen on paper and dropping it in the blue box like my bills.
Walk out to the box on the gate and open to find my paper mail. Sometimes it is empty and sometimes it has junk and never does it have a hand written letter from anyone I know or don’t know.
Sell your house? Join the gym? AARP? AAA? Hearing aids? Insurance deals for home and car? Best pizza offer in town? Employment opportunities addressed to my dead wife? Scan through like Super Bowl commercials and into the trash.
Still this is how we communicate today. I made a phone call the other day and after waiting 30-minutes with really bad music, I talked to a real person and made my arrangement in less time than it takes to heat a burrito.
I’ll check again before I turn out the lights. Maybe someone made a comment or posted something I feel needs my input.
Then the screen goes black.

No comments: