Sunday, September 1, 2019

Somewhere Over The Rainbow

Growing up ‘the rainbow’ was associated to Judy Garland and the Wizard of Oz. Not sure I ever even noticed a rainbow until college.
Then when the ‘hippie’ movement took off, it became a symbol of love and peace and freedom like balloons, face painting, sunshine, clouds and blowing bubbles. Earth Day used the rainbow as a symbol to bind us all together and everything was groovy.
During those days of smoke and haze, the rainbow was the symbol of a movement toward a new world of peace and love. Even the organization, that I supported, Greenpeace used the rainbow as a symbol of their attempt to preserve the earth and save whales and seals. I even bought a rainbow patch and sewed it on my jean jacket to show my support.
There was even a time when I was called the “Rainbow Warrior” after the Greenpeace ship that was sunk. The people who associated that name to me were not very nice, but I survived and wore it with pride.
Recently I cut the rainbow patch off my jacket.
I’m not opposed to the LGBT movement or the recent Supreme Court decision for it was right all along. The rainbow has changed distinction from what it used to mean to become a new symbol.
The rainbow will still be a sign of freedom. Maybe there is a pot of gold?
Sometimes logos or branding changes perceptions from what it originally intended to become a new symbol. Another example has been in the new recently.
-->

No comments: