Saturday, July 11, 2020

Roadblock

Haven’t written much about the Tummy Temple recently so here is my latest observation.
No one is assigned to wipe down the carts but they left the chemicals for a DIY clean up. I don’t wear gloves or disinfect the push bar for I also pick up the scanner and no one has cleaned that. You take your chances.
The shelves are well stocked. There are lots of yellow bananas and red tomatoes and plenty of blueberries.
All the nurses and doctors wandering the aisles seem to be following the personal space requirements. There are still plenty of elderly (like me) but seems to be fewer in the congregation that normal. The parking lot is full so maybe they have already visited?
I do notice that the call ahead and have it delivered to your car is picking up. Blue apron folks are pushing large instacarts back and forth through the aisles trying to find that particular selection you requested while you sit idling in the parking space with your trunk up like a baby bird waiting for delivery of dinner. If they can’t find rice noodles over egg noodles, what are your options?
I myself enjoy the walk through the aisles as exercise and watching humanity. I’ve followed personal space long before these guidelines.
Which brings us to the new pattern of shopper habits.
The roadblock.
With fewer people in the aisles, it seems shoppers feel entitled to leave their cart and wander through the store to bring back their finds to a stationary parking spot.
With my little zip cart I can normally move around vacant carts but I see this pattern of blockading the aisle as a privilege rather than a courtesy annoying.
I pack up my pony, strap on my helmet, lower my mask and peddle home. Tomorrow will be another day.

No comments: