Saturday, August 15, 2020

Mail Call


As I sit here in front of my computer screen, I don’t have any of the three digital email accounts open. I do not have alert activated. The messages can stack up in my inbox.

I will check sometime during the day but I don’t have to see or need to respond to anyone immediately. I also don’t use texting on my phone (which is turned off most of the time).

I do check the post box every day. Most of what I receive are flyers for home improvement companies or real estate agents offering a quick sale or some assisted living community. The pages and cards are quickly scanned and deleted (into the recycle can after shredding).

But seeing the postman (or woman) delivering the snail mail is always a treat. If I’m outside I talk to them in appreciation of their work. Now and then I get some mail addressed to my neighbor but it is easy enough to walk next door and drop it in their mailbox.

I receive my utility bills by mail and pay them at the first of the month. I also print out the tax forms and mail them through the post office. It gives me a paper trail and verification if ever disputed. It takes longer but I’ve got time to place a stamp on an envelope and ride to the blue box.

Mail was always important for sending Christmas cards or writing communication. The best part was waiting for the return letter.

There was a time when a mailbox was on almost every corner, within walking distance. Then they started thinning out. Now there is one box over by the mall, otherwise I have to ride to one of the two post offices within my riding distance.

With all this talk about the post office and delivering mail I think about the military newsreels and ‘Mail Call’. How troops in far away places got so excited to get a letter or a cake sent from home. The mail was the only link with family back home. Troops could read out loud their letter for all to enjoy and feel the connection with their families. At the same time it was devastating for a GI to get a “Dear John” letter.

Today everyone is sending messages with video chats yet there is no way to re-read the words.

Being old school, to sit down with pen and paper and write down your thoughts with writes and rewrites until you believe the words are expressing your intention, then secretly seal it in an envelope and hope the receiver will interpret your words correctly. It doesn’t happen much anymore but that box of letters stored away can always be read and enjoyed.


No comments: