Monday, March 29, 2021

A Person of Colour

 


Seems to be terminology now. A black person or a white person is our choice.

Blend it into a rough interpretation of ‘a person of colour’ indicating Asian, Latino, Africana vs. European decent. Where do we draw the hue line?

I’ve written about this before. My crayon box has many colors, so which one do I choose?

I know the Smurfs down the street are indigo and those little leprechauns running around in the backyard do seem to have a bluish/yellowish tinge to them but I’d not likely call them green.

Most of the people I see are similar to me. Some are darker or have better tans and some haven’t been in the sun for a while. They all seem to have two arms and two legs and eyes and faces and lips. I believe they all bleed red.

If we truly want to categorize people by their skin color shouldn’t we reference them as porcelain, ivory, warm ivory, sand, beige, warm beige, natural, honey, golden, almond, chestnut or espresso.

I don’t use the term ‘person of colour’ because I don’t know what you prefer. I also don’t use ‘black’ or ‘white’ for I haven’t seen anyone who is all colors or none at all, with the exception of albinos.

No comments: