Friday, March 26, 2021

Are We TOO Sensitive?

 



 

Over and over I hear the news that what was commonplace is now offensive, hurtful and wrong.

I get it. I understand. I even adder to the pain and suffering that has gone on for so many years unnoticed in our daily lives. The acceptance of degradation of another now appears in the forefront of the conversation.

There seems that enough social media voicing’s and conflict can bring our attention to what we have looked away from for so many years.

We all have issues. We all have opinions. We all can state our views because we have ‘freedom of speech’.

Yet, I wonder if we’ve become TOO sensitive?

Over the years, we have also divided and sub-divided and categorized each of us into ever reducing tribes of emotional out lash.

I am sick and weak and poor and old and feeble and off-white and Baptist and member of the Masons and abused and misunderstood and…. you get the point. We all got something that makes us different.

And life is not easy.

Not preaching, but I’m not tall and blonde (though I do have blue eyes). I’m not rich or have a fancy car or a yacht but I do own property. So where does that put me in the complaint line?

If my folks who arrived here long ago didn’t get a square deal on a plot of land, do I get reparations? If my great grandfather had not stopped poking his woman, wouldn’t I get a better share of the will? If my parents hadn’t been drinking that hooch, wouldn’t I’ve been immune to the temptation of the evil fallacy of the human soul? If I’d been born with a different color skin or plumbing, would life had treated me better?

Everyday I will listen to another complaint of why the plumbing isn’t better or who is going to take care of these potholes or why are my pants so tight or isn’t there a pill to solve my woes or it wasn’t like this in the past and wonder…

Where were these comments flooding the social media yesterday? If you thought the roads needed fixin’ why didn’t you contact the community leaders you pay your taxes to for a fix? If they couldn’t do it, why didn’t you get some tar and patch it yourself? Too many weeds along the road? A weekend of neighbors will solve the eyesore and give everyone a sense of accomplishment.

I’ll listen to your gripes and moans.

I don’t have the cure.


No comments: