Wednesday, November 24, 2021

Favorite Day @ The Tummy Temple

 


The day before gorging is my favorite day to shop at the grub hub. It is the day everyone is trying to figure the last touches to tomorrow’s menu.

The parking lot will be full. The carts will be wondering every aisle with a long list to check off. Frantic faces will be on phones trying to choose the correct salad dressing or whether to get French crispy onions for the green bean casserole or did anyone remember the cream of mushroom soup.

The blue aprons will be rushing to stock the shelves as the congregation to gluttony fills the wire baskets. It is just a great example of our society to satisfy a fantasy story of indigenous people and colonist invaders sit down for a meal together with our over abundance of grub.

I won’t stay long and will scurry home but I have to restock the yard critters meals for the holiday because they don’t have a happy customer appreciation card. I’ve been avoiding going out due to the chill but my last trip here were lots of couples searching the signs but this year there are no bargains.

I tied up my pony and was not disappointed at the lack of wire baskets available. The congregation was here (or had been here and no one returned). I even wrote down a list just to remind my feeble brain of what I needed for a ‘thankful’ meal tomorrow.

It wasn’t as congested as I thought but everyone seemed to be in a daze, just like me. Where is the romaine lettuce? Oops, forgot to get the crackers. Is that all the crackers that are left? Look for a wine to accompany the meal but should I get chardonnay or zinfandel or settle for a ‘Toad Hollow’ rosé?

Somehow got in between the rushes and made it home in the sunshine. Deciding to change my jeans that fit me two years ago but must have shrunk and put on some comfortable stretchy sweatpants, feed the yard of hungry faces then turned to social media.

The teenager who came to town with a gun and killed two people got off free. Three guys who caught and killed a jogger were guilty. A space ship was sent off to bounce into a flying rock. The Dollar Tree will become the Buck and a Quarter Tree and breakfast cereal will be more expensive.

Everyone else must be traveling, so I’ll go inside to the warmth and wait till tomorrow for the fun to begin.

Whatever you decide to smash-and-grab, try to pay the merchant on the way out. 


Thank you.

No comments: