Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Slim Pickins’

 

Been to a store recently? Not only the prices are higher but also there are empty shelves.

So what happened?

Seems from the news reports that when the pandemic hit, everyone was sheltered at home and turned to the Internet to entertain themselves by jumping on the Amazon game and adding to the chart. To fuel the fun the government sent everyone additional cash.

Then, it seems, without anyone at work making the manufacturing like tin for cans so the beer aisle was sparse or the paper for labels of wine. Add to that the wild fires burning up the vineyards and the rivers running dry and there are plenty excuses for the lack of stock.

If a manufacturer can find enough inventory of parts and gather enough bodies to produce, drawn in from the threat of virus death with stimulants and raise hikes, getting the product out the door and into the customer’s hands became a log-jam.

We all ordered so much stuff there were not enough containers to carry our dreams and wishes were stalled. Once our order got into a container and got on a boat and traveled the waters, there was a lack of trucks to continue to move it on at the other end. Yadda-yadda-yadda, you’ve heard it all. Our supply train got constipated.

Since I only purchase a few items at the Tummy Temple I have noticed the price increase but ponder the shelves. There are boxes on the floor that haven’t been emptied and it seems there is no one that can stock the shelves.

It is not to this point yet, but I notice the items are spread out more to fill the empty spaces. Pasta and sauces that had a ton of choices are now down to less than a dozen. I looked for potpies, since it is getting chilly now and potpies are the perfect warm up food, and the freezer was empty. I went back the next day and the shelves were empty. The next day and the day after, I check the still empty shelves.

I haven’t shopped for anything online in months and haven’t wandered into a brick and mortar building, but I surmise it is the same there.

Other than the daily meal, I believe I have enough ‘stuff’ to keep me comfortable for some time and see how this all turns out. When it snows I try to plan ahead to stock up for quarantine.

This is different. I can get out to the store, but does the store have what I’m seeking? If not, what are my options?

With my career over and am just in a time of survival, I can wonder at all the different features of logistics. On top of that is the constant talk that the planet is getting hotter and the weather is changing and won’t even start on the moods of people now.

I would volunteer to empty boxes and put cans on shelves but there are plenty of people who are out of work than can do that. Are teens still looking for part-time jobs to work retail or flipping burgers during the holiday school break? Do they still have school holidays? Do kids still look for summer jobs? Where are the lifeguards?

So they can’t unload the ships because the docks are full of containers and the containers can move because there are no trucks and the trucks are full of empty containers but have no drivers and the warehouses are full and the shelves are empty and the world goes round and round.

I ate today. Had some little mini-burger sliders with mustard and a baked potato with bacon and cheese. I’m stuffed.

Tomorrow I will ride my bike a couple of miles and lock up at the stop sign. I’ll look for a zip cart and wander the aisles like homeless wanders the streets looking for a delicious treasure. Tomorrow I can treat myself to some cake and ice cream.

Hope I can find some.

No comments: