Sunday, May 8, 2022

That is not the answer I wanted

 



It was a quiet day. Mother’s Day so I guess everyone was at church services or being polite entertaining mommy.

It was a cloudy damp and chilly day so even the birds were quiet. Just one of those days without noise so we cherishes it.

There must have been some good rain last night, but I missed it in my dreams. I was trying to figure out what to do with a lid in a book I bought.

I still had a mission to restock so I put on my sweats and my thermals, turned on my heater and rolled out into the vacant streets.

The parking lot was full of vehicles but I didn’t know why until I entered the Tummy Temple. Amid the half empty shelves and dirty floors were guys in their sweats who looked like they had been up all night celebrating the Kentucky Derby and now were decided on what bouquet of flowers to get for their sweet mother who was expecting to be taken to a nice restaurant and being reminded she told you not to live like that. Similar to Thanksgiving when a husband sent to the store to find a special spice that is in a foreign language so he’s on the phone trying to decide what brand he can bring home to satisfy the assignment or the fraternity crew stocking up for the weekend party without any decision on an amount or brand that will not be refused but will be downed by the other members without too much hesitation.

So after scattering out a buffet for my neighbors who may be celebrating Mother’s Day or not, I turn to social network for entertainment.

It used to be radio or television that provided a waste of time but now it has turned to a screen that awaits a comment or breaking news or something to hold our attention away from reality while the furry and feather critters enjoy they feast.

Being a news junkie, I always have the NPR on. Multi-tasking from what ‘news’ channels present to social media ‘truth or dare’ messages on memes and video clips.

Since most of what is classified, as ‘news’ has now become ‘entertainment’ with blogs, pod cast, and questionable journalism, whatever is presented needs to be ‘fact checked’ and ‘verified’ to believe.

A questionnaire or reporter or late night host will ask questions to someone (anyone) in hopes of getting an answer. The answer is what you can base your baize on as if it is fact rather than fiction. No one would lie to Walter Cronkite.

The problem is no one wants to make a declarative answer to a question. There is a pause and then the reflective statement of “that is an interesting question” while being pressed on the spot to form a sentence that could possibility relate to the question.

Worst of all is the answer of “Yes and No”.

So many variations of possibilities for answers leaves the listener befuddled. These are supposed to be the experts in the subject and they can’t come up with a straight answer?

Life is full of these questions that have no answers.

Will we win the war? How will we eliminate climate destruction of the planet? Is there a cure for death?

What is the answer to my question “Do you love me?”

I don’t like that answer.

No comments: