Saturday, June 16, 2012

What's on your mind?

-->

After finishing my series of 3-hour naps called sleep and waking from a dream where I knew the people but realize I never see their faces, I make my trip down the hall and see the scary man in the mirror. Cup of coffee, bottle of water, open the window, turn on the desk light and fire up the computer. There is no need to catch up on current affairs because the radio has been on all night refreshing the news every hour. While the last of Click and Clack crack their silliness and while waiting for all the apps to start I think about what is on my mind. 

There is always something on your mind. We, as a species, are always thinking about something. Sometimes it is reacting to work or a conversation with someone else or a problem that won’t go away. Plus it is the question that we really want to ask our friends.

Speaking of “friends” that is one of the things on my mind. Been in a conversation about losing/finding friends, which made me think: “What is a friend?” An emotional closeness or shared experiences are two definitions for friends. We make friends all through our lives and lose most of them. We use our friends to help move or paint then repay them by plying them with alcohol. We feel comfortable enough to discuss private thoughts with friends and some even know some secrets. Then some of our friends die and we wonder why we hadn’t told each other what we really thought. After a certain amount of time, making new friends and keeping friendships going becomes more difficult.
Perhaps that is part of the Geezing process. As we grow older the qualities required for friendship become more complicated. Geezers have different experiences that layer one on top of another to form new personalities. In our youth, we could make friends with just about anybody at a bar or ball game, but with the technology and the enjoyment for solitude, the Geezer enjoys a quick tweet and watching the game in the comfort of their own entertainment center. Also, the details of past experiences shared together become blurred. 

Instead of asking friends about their health or family or latest gadget, we should ask, “What’s on your mind?” for the thoughts are what make each individual unique. 
So what’s on my mind? I’m not sure. 
There is the list of to-do’s but I seem to have dust filling up on that list. Is it the hole in the ceiling? Well, it is there and I can’t fix it, but I have an estimate and just need to get a schedule. Is it the guitars sitting waiting for another recording session? That is worrisome but not at the top of the list after detailing each. 
Is it brakes that need to be replaced on the bike? I don’t think about it until I’m going down hill squeezing away trying to slow down but forget when I get back home.
Is it wondering what to eat today? Not really because the daily trip to the store and the better selection at the deli section sort of decides for itself, but I shouldn’t have gotten all that Mexican dip stuff (bloat). 
Is it wondering what that dream from last night was all about? Yes, I do think about the dreams and what they mean because that is my brain shuffling cards and playing a hand. Why was an old girlfriend in there and when she asked me would I paint her I replied, "What color?"
-->

 


In the long run, this is minor stuff to be thinking about. I guess I’m not really thinking about anything. Huh!?!
What’s on your mind?

1 comment:

Art said...

Suggesting to turn off the readio when you try to sleep! Silence breeds golden slumbers...

and
"I've just seen a face ...