Monday, July 23, 2012

Getting sick of getting sick in the summertime

-->
It is like going on a beach vacation and it rains or going to a dance and your date meets her old boyfriend or ...well you get the idea.

I’m not a very good patient or so I’ve been told. When I get sick, I just crawl off to bed and want to be left alone. In the winter you crawl back to bed and climb under a pile of blankets, hot soup and a good movie, but in the summer. It is hot and sweaty and your head is full of snot and with the entire mold and pollen population in the air makes it that much more uncomfortable.

How did I catch a cold? Well I don’t hang around hospitals or schools because that is where all the sick people are and I don’t go near the pharmacy because that is where the sick people go.

Perhaps it was when it rained on me the other day and then I sat down in front of a fan to dry off after the ride as I’ve done every day this summer. I should change my shirt more often.

But what the hey, 3 days coming, 3 days here, and 3 days going. That is what I found about colds.  So I went to the pharmacy today to look for cold medicine. Rows of boxes with weird names all saying they will relieve symptoms of cold and allergies and just feeling bad. So I picked out a couple that seemed like they might help and were not through the roof expensive.

Now when I used to get sick, my mom always took care of me. She’d take my temperature and make me drink gallons of orange juice and chicken noodle soup. When things were bloody like getting bitten by a dog or falling off my bike, she’d take me to the ER for stitches. When ole Doc Page was called, I’d get a shot or a trip to the hospital to cut me open and take something out. The one time I had the flu and could not move, she came over to the house and kept us hydrated and fed. When my back went out years ago, my wife took over for my mother. Many of these occasions I could have (and maybe should have died), but I came through and went back to the normal day-to-day doldrums of sleeping, eating watching TV and surfing the Internet.

So taking some of the medications that are suppose to break up the snot (there is probably a rule about mixing meds, but what the hey) spent a day sneezing, coughing, blowing my nose then repeat. By 8 o’clock I was exhausted so I decided to slather myself with vapor rub and go to sleep to a long night of strange dreams.

Today I feel a little better but it is still breaking up (along with my bathroom floor) so I solider on and will make it through this and fall will come sooner or later and I’ll still have to paint and scrap and get more work done but I will feel better for it.

So like mom said, “Take your medicine, keep hydrated, and get lots of rest.”


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Want some chicken soup?

Art said...

good news! Wet & cold don't make you sick with a 'cold'. Only a virus does it. Who you been kissing?