Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Hey babe,

-->

It is hot here. It’s been hot and it will be hot some more but I can’t complain because I still have power for the fans and actually the weather has been pretty good. Mild winter and the only snow came and went in a day. Spring was wonderful and now it is summer again. But you know me; I just slow down and sweat.

If I slow down any more I’ll be moving backwards. Did get some storm doors installed but am waiting for the living room ceiling to be replaced. Came in one day and the patch job I did wasn’t working and a large plaster piece fell on a chair that I usually watch television in. Luckily I wasn’t it in. A few days latter, a few more sections of the ceiling fell so I guess I’ll get the whole thing replaced. He is supposed to be here Monday.

It is kind a hard to do get engaged with projects when there is a big hole in the living room, but he is also going to patch and vinyl the bathroom floor. After that I’ll call to get some more electrical work done and then THE KITCHEN!

Speaking of the kitchen, I tried cooking everything I thought I’d like. Even bought a charcoal grill to cook hot dogs and hamburgers, but I think I have lost my hunger. Steaks, seafood, veggies and even fruit have lost its appeal. For Thanksgiving I cooked a turkey breast, made gravy, sweet potatoes, green beans, stuffing and rolls. I now know when I cook all this food, somebody has to eat it and that somebody is I. So I have gotten into the habit of picking up something at the deli, a sandwich or a salad and having one meal a day. I’ve just lost my appetite.

You trained me well for I do go to the grocery everyday buying the same menu of blueberries, seed, p-nuts, and the occasional strawberries and sunflower seeds. The buffet is put out everyday about noon and once the p-nuts fly, they all come out. I think the yard is still a safe nursery because I see the young ones dine after the parents. I’ve counted about a dozen or so monkeys, at least four grey jays, a half a dozen blue jays, grackles, cardinals, and even crows filling the yard and enjoying the four feeding areas. And the beau-beaus (now called scooters) are too numerous to count. They come up to the porch when I put out p-nuts and stand by my shoes. Might get down to hand feeding them soon. And also the yard boss enjoys her blueberries and seed. She understands her name when I call her and is not scared of me. It is very special.

Let’s see what else has been happening. Well last year about this time all the bikes were stolen. Some one or ones came into the yard and totted them out pulling the gate in the wrong direction. So your Bianchi is somewhere else now. Sorry I didn’t lock them up but it was my bad. Since then I keep the lights on and lock all the doors. Got two more bikes from Rowlett’s and then they went out of business. And the white pickup trucks still roll up and down the alleys looking for forget-me-nots.

Bought a couple of more toys but don’t go shopping very often. Actually I don’t go out much at all. I did meet some kids (which is probably why I shouldn’t go out much) and they took me to the races. Not the horses that you knew how to choose but the noisy car races. I just think they wanted me to buy them beer. And no I haven’t ventured onto those “meet a friend” sites. Just not interested in getting involved with someone else now.

Think I’ve always been like that. I gave you your space and you gave me my space. I gave you your toys and you let me have my toys. Probably not the recipe for a good marriage, but it lasted us over two decades.

I did go to the beach. The Spencers have a place in OBX and the Dexters and I went down for a weekend. Four hour ride down and a ride back was enlightening especially with the motorcycle accompaniment. So I decided to make it an event and took all the rings and offer them to the ocean. I’m sure you were there.

So how do I fill my days? I make coffee in the morning, instant is fine, and a bottle of water, while checking a few e-mails and Facebook comments then it is off to the store. It takes about 30 minutes to go and come and then I scatter the buffet out and call the critters, then settle in beside the fan and have my meal of the day while watching black and white TV. And of course I stay hydrated. Another check of e-mails, which are usually, empty and then bed. I don’t sleep very well. I listen to the NPR at night and have gotten a smaller bed in Buffy’s room. I toss and turn every night no matter how many bullets I have for a few hours of troubled sleep. But I guess again you knew that.  

So I guess I’ll go until next year. Wonder what will come out of the ceiling next week. Maybe that bag of pot you hide so long ago?

2 comments:

Art said...

one of your best. Just a narration. No polemic. Heartfelt. One of your best, my friend.

Jim said...

I agree with Art...this is great writing. When I was a pre-teen I started trying to figure out sex and human reproduction and I drew my ideas on line notebook paper which I then folded into little tiny squares and shoved into the spaces between the knotty pine walls my dad had added and the original plaster walls. Someone else owns that house now and I hear they have taken out the knotty pine walls. I wonder what they thought of those drawings, if they found them. Your comment about what may fall out of the ceiling next brought this to mind. Thanks, again, for sharing your heart. Burd