Thursday, November 9, 2017

Do You Dream?


I do.
Don’t remember scary dreams of the youth or many other dreams but I had one last night I will share with you.
I don’t have dreams of flying or falling but through the years I realize I have dreams of conflict. Trying to solve some problem in a large building or an industrial setting.
That was not what last nights dream was about.
I try to figure out what did I eat or drink or when did I go to bed or what was I reading or listening to before sleep to create such an illusion of reality.
Some say dreams are the mind trying to sort out the problems of the day to prepare for tomorrow. I believe that. Some say dreams are the mind’s attempt to justify the inner self that cannot be discussed with others. I believe that. Some say a dream is the soul communicating with the body. That could be but I’m not totally sold on that one.
So what I can remember I went to bed about the same time as usual. I’d been reading stuff on the new threads (duh) and scrolling over pictures of puppies and flowers and avoiding political nonsense. I unlinked a group that was somewhat interesting discussions on guitars but was overwhelming my timeline. I had a friend request from some beauty but on closer review had nothing in common or in this case, no information at all so I reported it as spam and shut down the computer.
It normally takes me two or three minutes for the radio sound to become muffled in my own snoring and twitches and leg shakes. Usually at around 3AM I awake for a bathroom break, a cup of coffee and another review of the wondrous world of the Internet to see if anyone has reported the world has ended before I go back to the eternal sleep.
Last night was a bit different.
I did wake up at the regular time but didn’t want to leave the dream.
Let me detail the situation I found myself in. A large white beach house feeling rather Victorian but rustic that was full of people that I believed were family. A comfortable yet somewhat stressful situation to be in due to all the people but I was at the beach. Everyone is dressed in formal attire and shuffling around to tables lined in hallways for some dining occasion. There was much commotion and chattering but I never hear any language or understand any statements. Talking is not necessary when the dream is all about atmosphere.
I feel pressured to pace down the hallways and back again as if waiting for something or looking for something.
The time period seems in the 1940s from the gowns and the hairdos.
A sailor walks up some open steps into this crowd. He is wearing one of those white sailor hats but his striped shirt is torn and looks dishevel. He seems dazed and confused and perhaps bruised. Several of the women gather him up and move him into a back room all the time chattering unintelligently. A group of men stand in a circle after the event smoking their cigars and pointing to the entrance of this new member as if evaluating what cause the action and apparent results to the sailor.
Then there was this girl.
How do I describe this without sounding like a pedophile? There was this innocent face, no smile but an interesting look leaning against the rail on the deck with the ocean in the background. She was dressed in casual beachwear as not old enough to be wearing one of the fancy formal gowns and not young enough to be wearing the kids attire as they ran around in their antics to entertain the adults.
There are those people in life that attract attention and this was one of those magnet moments. There was nothing said but just the companionship felt right. Somehow we felt like two strangers in a sea of confusion. Her calm smile and demeanor offered an opportunity to feel at ease in what otherwise was a family logistical nightmare. She gave me an unrequested surprise kiss drew back and smiled.
Again, no words had been spoken (I never talk in my dreams) but the feeling was right.
I was drawn away by some assignment from an elder and the moment ended.
When I turned back she was gone.
Ok all you perverts putting a Lolita spin on this dream; forget it. All you romantics trying to image a sensitive romantic tryst, you are all wrong because this is my dream.
More crowded hallways and endless wandering lead me to this next scene. A women/girl in a red dress (yes, I dream in color) standing very rigid was staring at me. Was this the same girl? She looked so different? I tried to remember the previous face but it seemed a collection of many images composited from memories.
The magnetism took over and we were kissing. I could smell her perfume and taste her lips and tongue. Her skin was as silky as her dress. It was like one of those 80s MTV videos with lights and dancers all surrounding a still moment in time (I think I know where that comes from but I’ll have to refer to my shrink).
By the way, this was a wonderful dream and ‘no’ I didn’t wet the bed.
Then I woke up.
I closed my eyes again but I couldn’t go back.
I got up and checked my empty email box while the images spun in my head. Who was that girl? Where was I? What about the sailor? These are thoughts that create books and movies.
It was still dark and I had some more nighty-night to perform so I climbed back under the covers hoping to go back and return but that is not how dreams work.
Finally awake to the point of physical motion but with a smile on my face of a brief astral projection adventure. Whoever you are out there maybe we will meet again?
Second star on the right, straight until morning.

No comments: