Sunday, November 5, 2017

Lost In The Music


Not a bad day. Wandered downtown to the big hardware store but for some reason they didn’t have what I was looking for. They only had Christmas decorations.
So the next step was the Carytown Crawl, which I try to do every year. I waited for the tourist to decide where they were going to go but finally had to go around them to be later followed by these wandering spectators.
First stop was a small shop of kitchen items and in the upper class presentation to the folks I did not fit in, I wandered through the store to be greeted by Rachael, a cute young proprietor of the shop welcoming folks to purchase her goods. It was worth the look in for I found teaspoons and a knife and enjoyed the conversation enough to pay the ‘Carytown’ price.
Next stop was to drop into the local guitar store and converse with the ones who know and play much better than me. Lots of toys but I’ve already filled my wish list so pleasant parting and on to the next stop.
The local taco restaurant surrounded by Thai and processed food places that are a desert haven. The atmosphere was empty but I was treated like a guest and enjoyed the conversation of daytime television.
Since the temperature had warmed and the power was still off outside, lunch was had in the dark running on batteries.
Another ride to the Tummy Temple for refreshments with thoughts of curtains and paints and sweats pants for future ventures. Got there at a different time for a different crowd and traffic pattern. Stopped to stare at a lady who was striking but I didn’t tell her that. Need to learn that lesson.
After a long venture winding through the streets of history and the past to cool down and redress to the warmer way of life.
Some yard work in the dark and yet it never gets done. A couple of hours of raking, scraping, filling and brushing before taking another refreshment and rest seem possible and preferred. 
The porch offers a haven for relaxation from the sweat and those weird pains in the back and legs. As the sun goes down and the neighbors rush into their buildings I bid adieu to the sun and welcome the moon before moving indoors myself.
That is when it happened.
While checking the nonsense on social media I came across a YouTube post of some music. I placed the headphones on my ears and was lost in sound.
Once it starts it never seems to end.
The eyes close and the music flows and then another and then another. Hours pass without a notice but a click of the mouse. Rock and roll turns into hillbilly banjo to an Eastern drum beat to a acapella harmony to funk bass to some weird drum beat the music never stops.
I know enough about music and can make most instruments with a pluck or a strum or a bang make some sort of noise but once in the zone am lost to the sound. I dissect and decompose and rearrange and add new parts without effort. The tune may be played hundreds of times with each version being different in my head.
My fatality forces me to remove myself from this wondrous place but know that the echo will reverberate in my head until I climb back into the virtual reality world of magic.

No comments: