Thursday, June 7, 2018

Hide & Seek


An update on the latest Tummy Temple activities is chaos. Dish detergent? Over in the dog food aisle? Corn starch? Try the chips aisle. Olive Oil? Oh, maybe over there in the paper towels or by the doughnuts or have your checked the produce section?
I don’t blame my usual faces for they appear as confused as those pushing wire carts staring at the signs in confusion. A piece of paper hangs from the former greeting card aisle for they are scattered in several places directing the new moving crew to place a new shelf and arrange old products in a new space all the while the ‘customer’ weaves between the reconstruction.
All the while, being the constant adventurer, I ventured into other ‘big box’ stores and found similar confusion. Restocking seems to be a problem so while people in blue or red t-shirts wander around carts block the aisles and cardboard boxes overflow with product but there is more stacked up on the floor and the racks are full and no one seems interested in helping the customer (I want to be pampered) and it is another day of grabbing what you think will work for you and then standing in line for some uninterested person to take your money and asking if you’d like a ‘super discount card that will only cost you with mysterious fees and email reminders of things you don’t want’. Everything comes in plastic bags?
Tomorrow I will saddle up and travel my route to the Tummy Temple hoping the blue flashing lights are not out front as today and search through the confusion for a basket full of blueberries, p-nuts, seed and beer. Whatever is available is what I get to choose for I don’t have to grow it or go out and gather it other than coming to this large brick building with a flat roof that leaks and always has.
Until I grow my own and sew my own I’ll have to venture into the capitalist world of consumerism and adapt to what America has to offer.
Wait until tomorrow!

No comments: