Sunday, July 15, 2018

Strangers in the yard


They were invited in and were paid fairly well for the reason to be here, but it was still intrusion of my private space. Having strangers wander around your property does raise the blood pressure.
Not invaders or threatening but still apprehensive of unknown intruders, the time passes for them to do their contracted task, clean up and leave the private space.
I’ve had my share of strangers in the yard doing different task that I’ve requested and paid for. Some have been competent and others very questionable but I paid the fee so the job would be done. Some I invited into my house which is even more stressful, especially when they are hammering down your walls.
Down the block and behind the alley there is constant noise of construction. Seems years our yard was the biggest construction project but most of that was power saws and hammers during the days when others were away at work. Still we were the first on the block to do more than plant some bushes and cut the grass.
The next few projects will require opening the door and letting strangers into my ‘home’. I can point out what I want but I may not be able to communicate with them.
When it is all done and paid for, will I have more security? I’ll still lock the doors and turn on the outside lights and wonder, will they come back?
At night I sit in the darkness and listen to the rustling of the leaves and the late night sounds and know I am the stranger in the yard.

No comments: