Monday, July 2, 2018

sub·mis·sion

 
Submission is the action or fact of accepting or yielding to a superior force or to the will or authority of another person.
Synonyms: yielding, capitulation, acceptance, consent, compliance surrender, resignation, defeat, humility, meekness, compliance, submissiveness, acquiescence, passivity, obedience, docility, deference, subservience, servility, subjection
Antonyms: defiance, resistance
The word caught my eye when one of our fine elected governmental leaders was quoting the Bible. There are many references of ‘submission’ in the Bible. Here is one:
“Hebrews 13:17: Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they are keeping watch over your souls, as those who will have to give an account. Let them do this with joy and not with groaning, for that would be of no advantage to you.”
Not being much of a rule follower, I do submit to pay my taxes and utilities on time for the consequences are a hassle. I usually submit to the posted speed limits unless it is downhill. I submit to the price of the food I buy but I do comparison shop with the massive variety. I do not submit to a HOA or neighbor’s wishes for I know my rights. I vote and am a law-abiding citizen who informs my elected officials my opinions and wishes for voting options with little progress.
I try not to submit to the rude and sometimes disgusting social media that so many participate in, but here I am. 
Have you ever been married? I have and I understand submission is called ‘compromise’.
com·pro·mise
Compromise is an agreement or a settlement of a dispute that is reached by each side making concessions.
Agreement, understanding, settlement, terms, deal, trade-off, bargain; a middle state between conflicting opinions or actions reached by mutual concession or modification, the acceptance of standards that are lower than is desirable, middle ground, happy medium, balance, give and take, or cooperation.
That all sounds good, but when two opposing forces collide one has to submit to the other. Whatever you want to call it, one must back down or annihilation.
“Fascists believe that liberal democracy is obsolete and they regard the complete mobilization of society under a totalitarian one-party state as necessary to prepare a nation for armed conflict and to respond effectively to economic difficulties. A strong leader — such as a dictator, leads such a state and a martial government composed of the members of the governing fascist party — to forge national unity and maintain a stable and orderly society. Fascism rejects assertions that violence is automatically negative in nature and views political violence, war and imperialism as means that can achieve national rejuvenation. Fascists advocate a mixed economy, with the principal goal of achieving autarky through protectionist and interventionist economic policies.”
Submission or resistance?
But I can’t think for you. You’ll have to decide. 
Whether Judas Iscariot had God on his side?

No comments: