Saturday, January 12, 2019

Drama



I keep hearing about avoiding all this ‘stressful’ drama in our lives.
Sure life is stressful. We have to make all these decisions like what to eat or which pair of socks match or if the car can last another mile on empty or did I take my pills….?
Our PTSD (as everyone likes to call it) is our inability to handle what life dishes out to us.
Family creates our first drama. We are all members in a cast of characters and the plot keeps changing. You can’t get away from it because you all have the same last name.
Next you are thrown into rooms full of desk and chairs and strange kids with one adult (not a family member) giving commands and expecting good grades.
Then the family who had been most nourishing, throws us out to get a job and start our own emotionally stressful family.
Interwoven with pimples, social rejection, puberty, broken hearts, drinking, and religion there is no excuse for not being stressed. This of Life is rough and takes no prisoners.
Then your dog dies, you get sued by your neighbor, your car breaks down, your doctor says you got badness in your body, your daughter comes home pregnant, you get robbed, your hair turns grey….
Everyone finds a way to coop with daily life and all of its drama.
I’ve had more than my share of drama. Some drama is self-made and some due to time and place. 
As we grow older we carry some of this drama baggage that can be shared.
I still listen to the news media at all the national and international drama and know all the wringing of hands or posting memes will not solve the situation. The same is true for neighbors, friends and family. If they want to talk about their vows and sorrows, I’ll politely nod then walk away wiping their drama off of me.
I can’t save every lost dog, I can’t find every lost child, I can’t save your burnt house or wrecked car, and I can’t make your marriage work or your job better. I can’t (or won’t) get involved with your drama.
This is my part and I’m writing my own script. Age has its privilege.

No comments: