Saturday, March 2, 2019

Batteries


A battery is a device consisting of one or more electrochemical cells with external connections provided to power electrical devices such as flashlights, smart phones and electric cars.
They say the usage of the term “battery” to describe a group of electrical devices dates to Benjamin Franklin, who in 1748 described multiple Leyden jars by analogy to a battery of cannon (Benjamin Franklin borrowed the term ‘battery’ from the military, which refers to weapons functioning together).
So from that history I guess batteries were around when I came along, but I don’t remember them.
Clocks were hand wound or plug into the wall (yes, we had electricity way back then). Watches had to be hand wound and razors were dragged across the face without power.
The first Japanese transistor radio is what I remembered requiring batteries. The batteries were hard to find and they didn’t last very long, but new electronics kept being produced that required batteries (not included).
So the other day, my computer tells me that I need to get a new battery for my Bluetooth device. Then my phone said it needs to be recharged and then the iPad.
It seems now my catchall drawer that used to contain broken screwdrivers and fuses that don’t fit anything has nothing but batteries. Batteries for watches, ear plugs, speakers, pedals…. Everything requires a battery.
I will stick with the reliable methods of travel that do not require inspections by MIT grads and music by a box with strings that can be played anywhere without being plugged in.
One day the grid will end and the little tubes of positive/negative energy will end and just litter the landscape.
I think I’ll take a nap to recharge my battery.

No comments: