Monday, March 4, 2019

Then she introduced me to her wife


Life is all about adjusting to new experiences. Shoot a rocket into space with a person attached. Get a needle poked into your arm so as not to live in an iron lung. Take a pill to avoid having a baby.
Aged wisdom is nothing more than experience. My grandparents would have never understood electric guitars or sushi. My parents would have had difficulty using a microwave or an iPhone. It wasn’t in their experience to be able to relate.
Now comes my time to watch the evolution with still enough cognition to understand the words and some how link them together with comprehension of meaning.
What was common understanding and acceptable behavior is changing and as long as I understand I must try and relate to this cultural change.
With youth living in a bubble of social inequality and misogynous, homophonic, religious intolerance and all the other phobias now recognized relating to the other members of the planet.
When faced with a prejudice how to react?
Riding a board on a wave and feeling it come out from under you, what do you decided to do in a split second? When the right front tire pops on the highway at 70 mph with a load of children aboard, what do you do? If you get a warning command on your screen when you try to boot up or power up your phone realizing there is no communication with the world outside, how do you react?
Some want to stand stern against change quoting religious or political or archaic evolutionary beliefs or bias to fog reality.
Get used to it. Tomorrow will not be the same as today. Or yesterday.
Certainly I have my prejudices from the time I was raised to the present, but I’ve also witnessed some amazing changes and am still in a comfortable enough place to appreciate them.
The key there is I’m in a comfortable place. I have no bombs falling on my head. I have not gangs rooting through my neighborhood shooting people and demanding money. I have a few dogs barking in fenced yards but only as an alarm system.
Could get all upset about politics but I’m merely one of many who walk down to the polling place and make our mark and then sit back and see what happens. Better yet watch the late night shows ridicule everything that happens than the lemmings of the big war where we all followed whatever was told to us. The propaganda worked so well that after the war we bought all our appliances as instructed.
Some of the new way of life might not suite me but take a step back and realize the Beatles rock and roll was just as revolutionary to our parents as the LGBYQ revolution now.
What was never spoken of before has come out of the closet and is now headline news? Would my grandparents or my parents adapt to these statements in their religious beliefs?
Let’s see what happens tomorrow and adapt.

No comments: