Sunday, November 17, 2019

Congestion


Seems every morning (from what I hear on the traffic radio reports) there is a wreck and commuter traffic is backed up. Maybe a slow one-lane rubberneck to view the carnage or a complete highway parking lot stop, congestion is a pain.
You’ll be late for that very important meeting and you are carrying all the notes and charts leaving your boss holding the bag. You’ll miss out on all the fresh doughnuts and the coffee will be cold. Your kids will be late and have to makeup chapters 7 – 21 instead of watching Disney streaming. Your vet will move on to another appointment so your dog will have to be scheduled to another day. There will be a line to wait in. All the good parking spots are filled.
My working career was mostly by public transportation. The bus would arrive at approximately the same time everyday (rain or shine) and deliver me to my destination in time to get settled in before the bell rain. If I missed the usual bus, another one would be along in 15 minutes.
In my youth, I’d walk to work. About 45-60 minutes on fairly level sidewalks. Like going to the gym before work, but without a shower. It was also a great release of work tension before I got home.
Growing older (and wiser?) I’d peddle my bike the five miles downtown. I’d leave before the 9AM rush and take side streets to avoid traffic. A few nights riding home in the rain or having a bike stolen sometimes questioned the method of transportation but the price of an automobile to only use to drive to work – park – drive home didn’t seem economical reasonable
I’ve been in some of that congestion but could not understand going through that experience everyday. When on a highway and a wreck blocks the path, there are no alternatives but to wait. The situation is out of your hands until the car in front starts to move.
This transportation vulnerability is like being on a train or an airplane. Once you board, the travel is out of your hands. If the tracks buckle or the engines fail, there is nothing you can do about it.
Maybe congestion should be taken as a time for contemplation instead of road rage? That is the time to check your updates instead of when the vehicle is moving.
That is your PSA for today.

No comments: