Friday, December 25, 2020

The Christmas Pie

 



It rained yesterday. Today is sunny, cold and breezy. I woke up from a dream that I didn’t want to go away. Stumbling down the hall to get my morning V-8 I was still in a fog from last night. It had been warm enough before the second batch of rain to get a few zzz’s on the porch. After scanning the network to find Nancy’s town made the morning news, I crawled back under the covers. The dream didn’t come back.

It was now time to heat up some water, pour in some sweet flakes in a bowl and try and wake up to smiling children and pets wearing red and green sweaters. Lots of Christmas trees and little else scroll through the screen as I sip my coffee. This day is so quiet there is never any news.

Still I click on my usual news sites to see a repeat of what was there yesterday. There is a video of our president and some woman who talks funny telling the nation their thoughts of Christmas day. There was a series of religious references and cut away to a nativity but they were reading off a script. I turned it off because if I want some preaching I’d go to Preacher Jim, not the president.

It was time to start putting on layers. The temperatures were still in the 30’s but I can’t change that. The crew awaits me at the backdoor but will have to wait a little longer for their seasonal treats. I have other errands to do first.

Sunshine and no traffic makes the ride a little easier, but first have to put a gift out for Nessie and Cooper with a bottle of bubbly for Jan and her son to cheer in the New Year and wash away the old.

Going through routes I traveled everyday for years, it seems new from my last year’s venture. New fences and landscapes and gigantic houses that weren’t there last year surprise me on every corner.

Rolling up to Station #16, I pull up my kerchief and ring the bell. Both doors open to big burley men wondering what the emergency would be on this day of peace.

“Merry Christmas” I say handing the apple pie I’d brought as an offering. They all looked bewildered on why some old cowboy on a bicycle would give them a pie on Christmas day.

I told them the pie had gotten a bit crumbled in the ride but should still taste good. We’ll call it the 2020 pie.

I said my usual spiel of one neighbor who appreciates what they do and how working on Christmas sucks, yadda yadda yadda. “Merry Christmas and I hope you don’t have to work today”

Everyone left with smiles, but they couldn’t see mine under my handkerchief.

On the way back home I got to try out the new bike lane installation. Some white lines and little poles stuck into the pavement. All the cars were parked on what used to be the right lane of a two-lane autobahn instead of by the curb leaving a thin clear path for two wheels to travel unabated. Unfortunately this is where the leaves and fallen branches accumulate but it was better than before. I don’t know how many bicycles use this bi-pod highway but it is my tax money put to good use. Where was it 30 years ago?

There are no Amazon trucks in site. They’ll be back tomorrow for returns.

I pass by the old homestead up on the hill. I pass a few strangers walking their dogs. Everyone seems pleasant and friendly but everyone always does on this one day.

Stowe away the pony while panting from the hill climb, then put out the Christmas feast of blueberries, peanuts, sunflower seed, walnuts, pecans then refill the water dish.

It is too cold to sit outside with them, so I’ll watch from a cozy chair with a cup of Joe being rewarded in their antics.

As the yard calms down and the sun starts to set, I open a bottle of Williamsburg Governor’s white 2019, slice up the rest of the Gouda and Italian loaf and finish off the Christmas carols to be locked away until December 25, 2021.

Then get back to that dream. I left her waiting and I want to see where it goes.

No comments: