Wednesday, December 23, 2020

The Christmas Wren

 


Here is a little Christmas story.

I have a studio behind my house. It is a little green shed that has everything I need. “Mansland” (as it has been called) has electricity, little heater that looks like a fireplace, a refrigerator, tool storage and an old wooden drawing table that is 5’ wide. There is no running water but I’m only a few yards away from the house.

When I get up in the morning, I’ll leave the house by the backdoor and unlock “Mansland”. I’ll bring out one of my ponies and ride to the Tummy Temple to get exercise and whatever meal for the day. When I return I open the door, turn on the radio and raise the blinds.

On warm days, the door stays open. On hot days, the windows are opened and the fans turned on.

With the door always open, I get some visitors. One of the bunnies will hop in to look around. A squirrel will go searching for the peanuts. A chipmunk will scamper in then turn and zoom out in a flash.

Now and then a bird will fly in. They will get up on the rafters and look around in wonderment. There are two skylights that they bang into wondering why the sky is solid.

No and then I have to walk out the door to show them the way they came in. They figure it out.

This little guy (or gal? I never asked) is a regular. I call him/her my “Bike Buddy” because he/she likes to get on my bike when I return from the Tummy Temple and check for bugs I picked up on the way.

Bike Buddy flies in through the window and searches the corners for spiders and whatever kind of bugs that I live with. After a good inspection, he/she escapes only to return another day. For a ‘Thank you’ I get a song.

The other day it had gotten colder and rained steadily. I don’t put out food when it rains because everyone is sheltered and won’t come out to eat.

The next day, after the rain stopped, I went out, opened the door and saw a little brown blur with the sound of fluttering wings. I went about my usual ritual of changing glasses and getting my gloves.

Before I left, I checked the rafters before I closed the door. Bike Buddy was gone.

Did he/she get trapped the last time I was out and locked in for two days?

There is a board that is slightly warped, just big enough for sunshine. It is also just big enough for Bike Buddy. I call it his backdoor.

They are all welcomed to come and go as they please.

Years ago I might not have been so tolerant, but I’ve learned. The guys, or at least their ancestors, were here long before I arrived. They are my neighbors and should be treated fairly. I’ve tried to be a good steward of the land and give them shelter and shade. I provide food and water and give them space to do what they would do if I weren’t here.

An amazing lady taught me that and I try to follow the lesson. I guess I’m still married so December 23,2020 @ 8:23PM is 37th Anniversary. 


No comments: