Monday, August 15, 2011

Growing Up





Recently I met my first wife after 30 years apart. She was probably the right girl at the time, but I won’t get into that.

We exchanged small talk and a few memories, but I wanted to ask one question.

“What happened in those eight years?”

She replied, “We grew up.”

Interesting answer, so I pondered it (as I often do).

Getting out of college, getting a job, going to the grocery store, cooking for yourself, taking out the trash you made, cleaning, learning how to drink too much wine, buying a car, buying a house……

I guess she was right. People have to stop being teenagers and fooling around and learn to be responsible and do adult stuff.

Over time, we grow old, but are we grown up? The hair turn gray then falls out. The body sags and the movements become slower. Yet the aging process does not mean you have to grow up.

I’m a firm believer in the “Peter Pan Principal”. Everyday find something new and different and exciting. Marvel in the wonderment around you. Don’t shut down the child inside who would skip rocks or sing out loud or naps when they are tired and plays when they are awake.

It may not be the “adult” acceptable behavior, but life is too short not to have fun.

So as one of the Lost Boys, I’ll never grow up.

Second star on the right
straight until morning.

2 comments:

TripleG said...

"Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them!"
-- Dr. Seuss

Anonymous said...

The goal is to act like an adult on the outside, feel like a kid on the inside.