Sunday, February 18, 2018

Let’s Have A Relationship?


“Love” is one of the most profound emotions known to human beings. There are many kinds of love, but most people seek its expression in a romantic relationship with a compatible partner. For some, romantic relationships are the most meaningful element of life, providing a source of deep fulfillment. The ability to have a healthy, loving relationship is not innate. A great deal of evidence suggests that the ability to form a stable relationship begins in infancy, in a child’s earliest experiences with a caregiver who reliably meets the infant’s needs for food, care, protection, stimulation, and social contact. Those relationships are not destiny, but they appear to establish patterns of relating to others. Failed relationships happen for many reasons, and the failure of a relationship is often a source of great psychological anguish. Most of us have to work consciously to master the skills necessary to make them flourish. 
Looking for love in all the wrong places? Flirting vs. sexual harassment? First impressions? Falling in love? Jealousy? Mating? Shyness? Sex? Soul mates? Infidelity?
Holy guacamole, why would anyone want to go through that kind of stuff just to be ‘friends’? Maybe you like the shape of their jib or enjoy an interesting conversation with no further attraction.
People (and animals of other sorts) seem to enjoy accumulating into groups. Perhaps for safety or just enjoyment of mating, we, the living planet participants, form relationships.
Some are necessary business relationships sealed with a handshake or a signature to someone who might not be a social partner except for the money and others might be folks who just fall into place as pals in a shared occurrence or a mistaken meeting.
Everyone we meet and converse with forms a relationship, may it ever be so brief. A wink or a smile or a wave acknowledges each other’s existence while a kiss might seal the deal.
Relationships have many levels and should be appreciated for what they are. The title of a relationship can confuse the meaning for association between two people. Remember to define with the other just what your expectations are to acceptable boundaries of emotional desire.
Relationships can change. Look at the ‘marriage’ relationship. Two have committed to bond together for all time until things change and not so much.
Relationships can be defined as ‘friends’ or ‘associates’ or ‘partners’ or ‘schoolmates’ or ‘lovers’ or ‘members’ or any assortment of descriptions that bond two or more together. ‘Family’ has it’s own relationship that is in constant flux.
I have lots of different relationships and only a few are romantic in terminology. Some relationships go back decades and some are forming everyday. Some have faded and some have become ostracized but there is still some connection in history or current events.
I’m a committer. I believe in relationships and try to stay true to how they originated and are sad when they end. Some say I should be committed, but that is another story.
I have a relationship with the soil. I’m not as good as some but I try to present an area that would have been familiar to our ancestors with space and substance for those who would have to dodge traffic on highways or scrounge trash heaps. We appreciate each other and though we don’t speak the same language their freedom is my reward.
I have a relationship with my peeps at the Tummy Temple. I don’t know any of these folks outside the building but they nod my constant attendance and most leave with a smile.
I have a relationship with old classmates or workmates. Mostly now through social media I can connect with remembrances that are fading, as are we all.
I have a relationship with my spirit. I’ve come to terms with reality and understand what moves me does not require a name or a set of instructions or a fee.
I have a relationship with my body. I know I’ve abused it for years and as a result feel the accumulated aches and pains are to be expected. I am the steward of myself so have not excuses unless I try harder to continue with better judgments. Medical professionals could attend me to but after all these years don’t think there is a pill or potion to make me well again.
I have a relationship with my home. Though we are not best buddies, she keeps the rain off my head and is a place to go to rest and prepare sustenance. There were memories there before I entered and there are lots more memories now. I don’t have much of a relationship with the contents for they are just accumulations that will be sold in the estate sale after I’m gone. I now try to show my appreciation of the years by keeping her as sturdy as possible after years of neglect.
I have a relationship with my girls. My ladies are my only wanton pleasure and I treat them as such. I hold them close and they respond to my hand movements as we become entwined. Some just whisper and some scream but I appreciate each and every one for they do make music.
I have a relationship with music. I will widen that category to say, I have a relationship with art. For some reason I was given the privilege to enjoy what is called ‘the finer things in life’. Art, music, writing, photography, dance and many more aspects of life so many ignore, I find wonder in and the ability to produce images and noise to express myself.
I have a relationship with my ponies. I’ve had many ponies through the years and some have new homes somewhere else without my permission to load but life is like that. Still this simple mechanical device is as inanimate as the parking lot and only works with some effort from me to get to my destination. My ponies also show me the changes of the day and require moving muscles and heavy breathing and heart pumping to clean out the system. Some days are a slow trot and other days are a gallop but they are always ready to deliver me and return me safely. Each year they get the change of shoes and complete check-up I don’t do to my own body.
I have a relationship with my heart. The pump that keeps the body going with the head trying to understand why it gets broken the excuse for the term ‘romance’. Like every lad I’ve formed my likes and dislikes and want and desires from advertising and culture and personal experience. My relationship with the heart has more of a logical wisdom than my youth but I still appreciate the feelings with better understanding.

No comments: