Friday, May 4, 2018

Losing Interest


I find, in my elderly years, that things have to be exciting or surprising or unusual to keep my attention. Whether if it is my age or the subjects presented to me, I easily lose interest.
I stopped delivery of the local newspaper as I found fewer things of relevance and worth the price. I’ve stopped watching the local news as it was becoming too entertaining and just silly. I’ve stopped watching the morning ‘news shows’ and the afternoon cooking shows because of the repetition. The movies have become remakes as are the television shows and very few books have gotten my attention after reviews. Music has subdivided into every trend you could want but with all the technology, it all sounds the same.
I appreciate the effort that creative types do to try and make a living, but it seems the public is more interested in ‘more of the same’ than something new and different.
The same is for social media. After a contested year of political mayhem, the freedom to say whatever you want has brought out the worst in us. I’ll still get bombarded with trash, but have found it easier to scroll through what could be real or what could be fake. It is not worth my attention.
It may have been true for relationships too?
Think of the people you have known through the ages. Something drew you toward them and then….
When did you lose interest?

No comments: