Monday, April 27, 2020

The Last Goodbye


In this time of Zoom conferences and Skype and email images with no physical contact, do you remember when the last time you said, “Goodbye”?
When people would leave from an evening meal or drinks with friends or a family occasion, we would wave and say, “See you” or “Have a good one” or “Later” assuming tomorrow would bring you face-to-face again.
This time it is different.
There is no end in sight to this total imprisonment. Screen images are like saying “Hello” to a photograph. A voice message cannot relate facial expressions.
We are social creatures. We welcome others into our confidence and miss them when they are apart.
Now with social distancing and the unknown of the possibility around the corner, what do you remember about the last time you were actually in the room with the other person? How did the conversation go? Did you solve some problems? Did you tell some secrets? Did you reminisce about old times never thinking this might be the last time?
What did you say when they left?
There are people who have gone before me that I never said “Goodbye” to. My father. My mother. My wife. Friends who left with smiles and laugher would soon to be removed from my contact list without a proper “Goodbye”.
In this time of reflection of our own mortality we might consider our welcomes and goodbyes.
If people are important for whatever reason, what do you remember about the last time you saw them?
Every morning I step out into the yard and stop. I stand still for a few moments to see what the yard tells me. I then go get my pony and get geared up to ride and then stand still again. I look up at the clouds coming through the trees. I notice how the forest has changed since last I was here. I take a deep breath. I remind myself everyday how lucky I am to have this plot of land. Only then do I walk off not knowing if I’ll ever be back.

No comments: